Thread: Can't use HDMI to output to TV

Beans

Can't use HDMI to output to TV

I'm trying to connect my laptop to a TV, so that I can mess around on a bigger screen. When I connect it, however, I get logged out of Ubuntu and the screen just flashes on and off at the login screen, not allowing me to type anything. I can use the TV on my Windows partition, so I know it has to be something with Ubuntu. Does anyone know how to fix it?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: Can't use HDMI to output to TV

Thread moved to Multimedia & Video.

Have you tried switching everything off, connecting the television via HDMI, switch the TV on. Once at a screen with 'No Signal', switch your machine on. What happens?

Do you have Ubuntu running okay on the computer screen when the other one dies? If so, does that let you login okay?
    Last edited by Bucky Ball; July 29th, 2014 at 06:07 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!

What graphics hardware do you have? Nvidia or ATI?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

+1 for Bucky Ball suggestion.
    Turn off laptop and TV. hook up your hdmi to tv. turn the tv on. make sure you are on correct input source. and then turn on the laptop.
    This order is important.
    If this doesn't work. provide the specs of your laptop specially vid card.

Beans

Another trick you can try is with your laptop plugged into the TV boot it up with the lid closed. This should make it default to the external display and turn the internal display off.

Beans

Sorry it took so long for the reply. I'm using a NVIDA card (GeForce GTX 780M). I tried to use it in that exact, but still nothing. I still just get to the login screen where my laptop's display just flashes, and my TV just gives me a no input signal. It's a Vizio, if that makes any difference at all.

Beans

I have all the accessories like the HDMI cable, still not able to connect it.