Thread: Jailing of my post - Mods totally over-reacting.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Jailing of my post - Mods totally over-reacting.

I don't know what the mods are thinking - asking someone if they've never used a search engine when the solution to a (Non-Ubuntu) question was readily available is in my mind neither trolling, nor flaming, nor condescending.

Please mods grow up a bit.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Jailing of my post - Mods totally over-reacting.

Forum DOs and DON'Ts
    Never assume that information you find using a search engine is up-to-date.
    Please use CODE tags.
    A low-volume blog

We strongly discourage its use here on Ubuntu Forums. The "Sorry, do you not know about search engines?" response given is extremely condescending and not really appropriate for a support forum.

The moderator was correct to jail your post.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

HUH? This isn't a kindergarten.....

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 17.04 Zesty Zapus

You seem to have missed the point.

The legalistic bit first. The forum Code of Conduct, which is binding on all members, states this:

Finally, you agree that forum staff have the right to remove, edit, move or close any post, topic or thread at any time they see fit following the guidelines outlined below, or the posting tips which you can find here.
    The word here being a hyperlink to the Posting Guidelines, which contain this:

If you wish to remind a user to use search tools or other resources when they have asked a question you feel is basic or common, please be polite. Any replies for help that contain language disrespectful towards the user asking the question are unacceptable and will not be tolerated. This includes things like STFU, RTFM, and LMGTFY as well as the obvious forms of disrespect.
    Your were not polite – you were abrupt and sarcastic. The moderator was correct to jail it.

And now for the spirit of the Code of Conduct, and the principles by which the moderating staff do their voluntary work, again from the CoC:

We ... want this to be a place where community can develop and we can enjoy one another's company. To achieve this, we strive to maintain an atmosphere that can be enjoyed by all and we ask all members of the community to be respectful at all times. This means please use etiquette and politeness. Treat people with respect. If you do this, the rest of the code of conduct won't need more than a cursory mention.
    I urge you to reflect on this.

Lastly, from your posts in this thread:

Quote Originally Posted by gendibal
    Please mods grow up a bit.
    I think you missed this bit of the CoC as well:

If you believe an error has been made in moderation or other staff actions, please post politely in the Resolution Center and help us understand your perspective.
    Quote Originally Posted by gendibal
    HUH? This isn't a kindergarten.....
    You are quite right - this is not a kindergarten. This is a place where members are expected to behave in a grown-up way by being courteous, and most members prefer it this way. A kindergarten by its very nature is where you would expect to see childish behaviour, but this forum is not a place for childish behaviour. If members behave like children, they will be treated as such.
    Ubuntu 16.04 Desktop Guide - Ubuntu 14.04 Desktop Guide - Forum Guide to BBCode - Using BBCode code tags - IRC #ubuntuforums

Member: Not Canonical Team

Please do not PM me about your forum account unless you have been asked to. The correct place to contact an admin about your account is here.