Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: GUI Issue XFCE environment, Ubuntu 12.04

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Unhappy GUI Issue XFCE environment, Ubuntu 12.04

I'm stumped and I'm an uber-noob, so please go easy on me. This happened after I put my computer in hibernate, without closing the web browser first.

-XFCE DE 4.8
    -Ubuntu 12.04
    -Toshiba Satellite C655D-S5511

I'm unable to open any programs graphically, and I can't switch to a different terminal (if that's the right word for the Ctrl-Alt-F1 etc shells). I'm typing this within the standard Ubuntu environment, and I can't access any other terminals from here, either. I am able to open the BASH from XFCE with a keyboard shortcut, and that's about it.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Bucky Ball; July 27th, 2014 at 07:18 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: GUI Issue XFCE environment, Ubuntu 12.04

It is a bit crude as a method, but you could try Ctrl+Alt+SysRq+b to give you a reboot (not quite as crude as a cold stop, but close)

Or you could be gentle, stretch your hands, and do Ctrl+Alt+SysRq+REISUB. Press the first letter, wait a couple of seconds, then the next - and do the same right to the end. The final b reboots

Beans

You could also do:

CTRL+ALT+F1

That will get you into a single user session. Login with your username and password then do:

sudo reboot
    Ubuntu 16.04 x64, Core i7 4770k, 8Gb RAM, Nvidia Gtx 650, Sandisk Extreme 120 SSD.

https://reddingcomputer.wordpress.com/

Beans
    Distro

Sudo reboot and ctrl-alt-sysrq-b did nothing. Sysrq is a function key though, but fn+sysrq+b took a screenshot

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

I'd bite the bullet and hard shutdown if you nothing else is working. It sounds like a chronic hang.

How much RAM do you have installed and is your /swap partition the same size or larger? If you are hibernating and your /swap partition is less than your RAM, that is probably your issue, especially if you had a few things open when this happened (and if you have minimal RAM and small swap that could be Firefox and ten tabs).

PS: I've attached your large screen shot in the first post. Please attach them using either 'Go Advanced' or 'Adv Reply' and clicking the paperclip icon. Cheers.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by anachronism2 View Post
    Sudo reboot and ctrl-alt-sysrq-b did nothing. Sysrq is a function key though, but fn+sysrq+b took a screenshot
    The command should be Alt+SysRq+B, but before this you should do this with the R, E, I, S, and U keys, and then B.

see: http://fosswire.com/post/2007/09/fix...ic-sysrq-keys/

This should be a last resort. If you can get the terminal, then shutdown or reboot, is probably better.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis N View Post

This should be a last resort. If you can get the terminal, then shutdown or reboot, is probably better.
    +1. Anything definitely better than a hard shutdown.

Beans

Sometimes it gets to the point where you just have to pull the plug and hope for the best.
    Ubuntu 16.04 x64, Core i7 4770k, 8Gb RAM, Nvidia Gtx 650, Sandisk Extreme 120 SSD.

Beans
    Distro

Even a hard reboot didn't work. At least I still have my data and other DEs. Thanks for the idea, though,
    everyone

I may dam well have to uninstall and reinstall the whole XFCE environment. I scooched Windows way over, and Ubuntu has more than enough ram. Weird
    Last edited by anachronism2; July 28th, 2014 at 04:54 AM.

Beans

Try deleting

~/.cache/sessions

That is where Xfce stores saved sessions.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast