Thread: Flash video problems in 14.04

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Flash video problems in 14.04

I see that these problems seem to have bugged people for some time.

I've played all types of video without problems through several releases of Ubuntu but, since upgrading to 14.04 (some time ago), I've had problems with playing video from the BBC in Chrome/Firefox, whatever.

Please note that I am in the UK so licensing problems should not figure. I've got a 35 Mb fibre feed so broadband speed is not an issue.

The symptoms are confusing: on occasions the video will play for a few seconds, then apparently start buffering for a while before failing with an 'invalid media' type message. On others it will just show as buffering, before failing with the same message. If I try watching TV live on the BBC iPlayer site it usually shows a few seconds of video, shows as buffering, shows an updated still image or even plays a few seconds of the show (as it is at that the time, i.e. skips past the buffering time) then repeats ad infinitem.

I've just tried the Channel 4OD site and found the same symptoms there.

Meanwhile video plays well on youtube, vimeo, etc.,

After scanning many threads, installing/reinstalling flash/pepper plugins several times and fiddling with all sorts of things I've got nowhere. The latest thread I've read suggests installing libhal1 from an earlier distribution but I'm reluctant to do that in case of unexpected side-effects.

Has anyone any better suggestions?

TIA

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: Flash video problems in 14.04

Last edited by ron998; August 1st, 2014 at 07:34 PM.