Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Yesterday's 12.04 "Hardware Update" Destroyed My System

Beans

Yesterday's 12.04 "Hardware Update" Destroyed My System

I'm sure this is not a place to direct my rage. However, I'm not sure where else to direct it.

My machine has been happily (and awesomely) running 12.04 for years, and 10 before that.

I just got an update with Update Manager with a 'Hardware Update'.

I'm not sure who thought this update would be a good idea, but I am sure that they are lucky I don't know them and they are not here now.

This 'Hardware Update' disabled my DVD burner/player, my LAN card, and erased all my nvidia settings and doesn't support my monitor's resolution anymore.

So my machine is effectively destroyed.

I'm not in the mood to 'try' anything to fix it. It looked like it did several dozen 'updates'. I will just reload it.

But thanks, Ubuntu, Canonical,, or whomever for putting that 'update' out, with no warning of what it might affect (destroy).

Next time why don't you think about how many user hours you're about to waste with your lousy update?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Re: Yesterday's 12.04 "Hardware Update" Destroyed My Box!

I understand your legitimate frustration. You have every right to be upset.

However, I'm sure that there are a lot of users like me for whom those updates were applied without issues.

Common sources of such problems are proprietary drivers, third party repos and PPAs from which you have installed "non-standard" software.

Might that be the problem in your case?
    Please read The Forum Rules and The Forum Posting Guidelines
    My Blog
    A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.

Beans

I didn't have any third party stuff. But is is an older AMD machine.
    I saw the update running through the system removing drivers and whatnot.
    A logical approach would have been to back all that up. Maybe download a java app or text instructions to revert it should it do something like that.
    Didn't see anything like that happen.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

See the link , it may shed some light the reason for the updates.

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/1204_HWE_EOL

Ask Ubuntu questions: http://askubuntu.com/questions/tagge...ablement-stack
    “Start where you are. Use what you have. Do what you can".

Ubuntu Documentation Search: Popular Pages
    Ubuntu: Security Basics
    Ubuntu: Flavors

Beans

I read all that prior to the update, Nowhere does it say that the update could affect the system to the degree it has and there's no way to revert.
    An upcoming event affecting the 'loss' of hardware support, that actually might cause hardware to become inactive, is something to notify and prepare for, not something to shove in an vaguely described update and send out without some kind of warning about system effect.
    I'm not arguing about the necessity of the update, but hey, the users have to be given a full warning about an update that could cause a system to go down like this.
    If I would have seen a warning I would have backed off and probably updated to 14 in a much more planned manner.

I guess that day is now today if I want to do any other work before midnight.

And that's what sucks about it.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Yesterday's 12.04 "Hardware Update" Destroyed My System

Two days ago I put in a fresh install of Ubuntu 12.04.4 just to test what would happen if I accepted that offer to upgrade the hardware enablement stack (HWE). Every thing went fine. But I will say this, based upon the number of people posting on this forum reporting a broken OS I cannot understand why the upgrade was pushed out to existing 12.04 users.

I can see that as new hardware comes on the market that Ubuntu 12.04 needs the latest Linux hardware stack to be able to install on the newer hardware. That can be dealt with by updating the 12.04 ISO image. Existing users have no need for a newer Linux hardware stack because Ubuntu is working on their hardware. Unless it might fix an existing hardware incompatibility problem.

Not only that but during August 12.04 will get a new point release - 12.04.5. That will have the new HWE. So, why push out an upgrade now?

And then there is the matter of the warning itself. Someone has put in a bug report about it. Some have misunderstood exactly what was reaching end of life. Was it 12.04? That is supported until 2017, surely. And was does it mean that the hardware stack will not be supported? No more security fixes for the Linux kernel?

I have to say, this could have/should have been done better.

Regards.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by grahammechanical View Post
    Two days ago I put in a fresh install of Ubuntu 12.04.4 just to test what would happen if I accepted that offer to upgrade the hardware enablement stack (HWE). Every thing went fine. But I will say this, based upon the number of people posting on this forum reporting a broken OS I cannot understand why the upgrade was pushed out to existing 12.04 users.

I can see that as new hardware comes on the market that Ubuntu 12.04 needs the latest Linux hardware stack to be able to install on the newer hardware. That can be dealt with by updating the 12.04 ISO image. Existing users have no need for a newer Linux hardware stack because Ubuntu is working on their hardware. Unless it might fix an existing hardware incompatibility problem.

Not only that but during August 12.04 will get a new point release - 12.04.5. That will have the new HWE. So, why push out an upgrade now?

And then there is the matter of the warning itself. Someone has put in a bug report about it. Some have misunderstood exactly what was reaching end of life. Was it 12.04? That is supported until 2017, surely. And was does it mean that the hardware stack will not be supported? No more security fixes for the Linux kernel?

I have to say, this could have/should have been done better.

Regards.
    I agree 100%. Not impressed at all.

I have an old compaq machine with an AMD 4xxx video adapter which isn't supported in linux by AMD anymore. And I've not been impressed by what I've seen of HWE. Frankly it seems like a bugfest. I think I may just install another distro that uses an older kernel. Fortunately I don't need that machine and haven't used it for a while, but that means I haven't fully researched it yet .

Beans

OK, so your machine was working perfectly, for years, then you do an update...

This is why I disable automatic updates as soon as a machine is installed and working properly. Once every year or three, I re-install it from scratch.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Frogs Hair View Post
    See the link , it may shed some light the reason for the updates.

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/1204_HWE_EOL

Ask Ubuntu questions: http://askubuntu.com/questions/tagge...ablement-stack
    +1 ...............................

Also read:

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Kernel/LTSEnablementStack

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by HermanAB View Post
    OK, so your machine was working perfectly, for years, then you do an update...

This is why I disable automatic updates as soon as a machine is installed and working properly. Once every year or three, I re-install it from scratch.
    So you run for a year or more without security updates

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast