Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: A close call a long time ago with ubuntu and the terminal

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: A close call a long time ago with ubuntu and the terminal

Quote Originally Posted by grahammechanical View Post
    Warnings do not always work. Think of those people who install Ubuntu by selecting Use the Entire Disk and are then surprised that Ubuntu is installed and Microsoft Windows is no longer on the hard drive.
    This happens.

But right now there is also a bug, so that people who select 'Installing alongside ...' or 'Reinstall ...' will actually use the entire disk. Maybe it is caused by some problem with identifying Windows, maybe some problem when there is already dual boot, linux and Windows, I'm not sure, but there is a lot of evidence that this is happening. So again, please encourage people to have a current backup of their system or at least the files they don't want to lose. See the initial warning in this link

UEFI Installing - Tips

and the bug report itself

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...y/+bug/1265192

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

I would say the blame rests on the users. If they just blindly go and type in those commands, it's their fault for not first researching what they are doing. It takes 5 minutes on a search engine to figure this stuff out.

These people would not do this for half of the things in life (you wouldn't try to drive an 18-wheeler when you only know how to ride a bike) but people are happy to type in these kinds of commands without researching, without backing up and without even knowing what the hell they are doing.

CKI issue.

Beans

Wiping the Windows partition automatically is a feature not a bug.

Joking aside: that's a nasty little bug. I hadn't heard of that one before.

Quote Originally Posted by sudodus View Post
    This happens.

But right now there is also a bug, so that people who select 'Installing alongside ...' or 'Reinstall ...' will actually use the entire disk. Maybe it is caused by some problem with identifying Windows, maybe some problem when there is already dual boot, linux and Windows, I'm not sure, but there is a lot of evidence that this is happening. So again, please encourage people to have a current backup of their system or at least the files they don't want to lose. See the initial warning in this link

UEFI Installing - Tips

and the bug report itself

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...y/+bug/1265192
    Ubuntu 16.04 x64, Core i7 4770k, 8Gb RAM, Nvidia Gtx 650, Sandisk Extreme 120 SSD.

https://reddingcomputer.wordpress.com/

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by mooreted View Post
    Wiping the Windows partition automatically is a feature not a bug.

Joking aside: that's a nasty little bug. I hadn't heard of that one before.
    The problem is partially terminology Windows users often talk about the C: drive or the D: drive when they only have one drive but two partitions. To a Linux user drives are drives not partitions.

Many Windows users think they have told the installer to use the whole D: drive not the whole drive that carries the D: partition, (and also the C: partition).

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Warren Hill View Post

Many Windows users think they have told the installer to use the whole D: drive not the whole drive that carries the D: partition, (and also the C: partition).
    A new user posted a thread due to this very confusion just recently. Where's Windows? etc.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by Warren Hill View Post
    The problem is partially terminology Windows users often talk about the C: drive or the D: drive when they only have one drive but two partitions. To a Linux user drives are drives not partitions.

I think the terminology is fine. The very first time I installed Linux (looong ago) I knew exactly what `use entire disk` meant. I do not see how you can get confused between disks and partitions. I think if a user does not understand this concept, then they probably should not be installing an OS by themselves.

Beans
    Hidden!

Dangerous commands tend to get jumped on quickly here, still take care what you copy/paste.

It should also be noted that copy/pasting directly from a website to the terminal (irresepective of how benign/safe the command is) is in itself a dangerous act.

A thread, IIRC it was in this cafe, in the last year or so showed me that. It showed how a website can hide code alongside "safe" code that copying/pasting directly to a terminal can activate automatically, especially if the code contains a line return at the end of it, causing potential chaos for the user.

ALWAYS copy/paste code from a website to a text editor FIRST. Check the code for any extra "surprises". Then if the code is OK copy/paste from the editor to the terminal. In other words, inspect all code carefully before pasting to a terminal.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by coldcritter64 View Post
    Dangerous commands tend to get jumped on quickly here, still take care what you copy/paste.

It should also be noted that copy/pasting directly from a website to the terminal (irresepective of how benign/safe the command is) is in itself a dangerous act.

A thread, IIRC it was in this cafe, in the last year or so showed me that. It showed how a website can hide code alongside "safe" code that copying/pasting directly to a terminal can activate automatically, especially if the code contains a line return at the end of it, causing potential chaos for the user.

ALWAYS copy/paste code from a website to a text editor FIRST. Check the code for any extra "surprises". Then if the code is OK copy/paste from the editor to the terminal. In other words, inspect all code carefully before pasting to a terminal.
    Thanks for this warning

I had never thought of this problem with 'hidden code'. But I do copy via a text editor sometimes to get rid of formatting, that I see.

Beans
    Hidden!

Thanks for this warning

I had never thought of this problem with 'hidden code'. But I do copy via a text editor sometimes to get rid of formatting, that I see.
    You're welcome

It was a long while back that I saw the thread here in the cafe so am posting from memory. The post linked to a website that demonstrated the technique in a relatively safe/educational way. However once someone runs a root (sudo) command in a terminal any following sudo command within the sudo timeout period carrying the hidden payload could run automatically and very destructively... OUCH .

I now check all commands with gedit when following online tutorials.

If anyone here knows of or has a subscription to the thread I refer to, it would be good to link it here as a general terminal usage warning in the same context as the OPs warning/comments.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 14.04 Trusty Tahr

So again, please encourage people to have a current backup of their system or at least the files they don't want to lose.
    It's alarming how many people I know in my life that have absolutely NO backup whatsoever.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast