Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: A close call a long time ago with ubuntu and the terminal

Beans

A close call a long time ago with ubuntu and the terminal

A long, long time ago, I was on a forum and say someone telling me to sudo rm recursive /.
    I was bored and forgot to type sudo.
    I am thankful that I did. XD
    If only I knew his name, that's quite mean telling someone to wipe there hard disk. Now there is a pleasant warning.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 17.04 Zesty Zapus

Re: A close call a long time ago with ubuntu and the terminal

More than mean. If the intent was malicious, that is one thing that can lead to an instant ban here.

http://ubuntuforums.org/announcement.php?f=326

If you see anything similar, please report it so that the staff can deal with it.
    Ubuntu 16.04 Desktop Guide - Ubuntu 14.04 Desktop Guide - Forum Guide to BBCode - Using BBCode code tags - IRC #ubuntuforums

Member: Not Canonical Team

Please do not PM me about your forum account unless you have been asked to. The correct place to contact an admin about your account is here.

Beans

It was on askubuntu. Unfortunatly, I had to go before I could get there un. I really really hate this guy because he probably caused plenty of curious users dismay. D: You should add a filter for hese commands, if so, they have the words DO NOT RUN imprinted upon them and auto-send to staff.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by waterlubber View Post
    It was on askubuntu. Unfortunatly, I had to go before I could get there un. I really really hate this guy because he probably caused plenty of curious users dismay. D: You should add a filter for hese commands, if so, they have the words DO NOT RUN imprinted upon them and auto-send to staff.
    The forum staff is quite small.
    We would not be able to do basic moderations if every command instruction had to be reviewed.
    However, if you come across suspicious commands such as the one you pointed out, report it using the report post button and then the staff will take the time to review it and take whatever action is needed.
    Splat Double Splat Triple Splat
    Earn Your Keep
    Don't mind me, I'm only passing through.
    Once in a blue moon, I'm actually helpful

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 17.04 Zesty Zapus

Did you read the announcement I linked to?

We are not going to filter that or any command, because it could interfere with constructive and helpful advice posted here. People need to be educated about potentially destructive commands, whether used maliciously or by accident - hence the announcement. But we also rely on people reporting suspicious stuff so that the staff can take appropriate action. You are relatively new here, so you may not know that experienced members here are good at reporting stuff they are uneasy with. The staff are grateful to such members - without them it would be much more difficult to keep this forum a place the majority can find congenial.
    Ubuntu 16.04 Desktop Guide - Ubuntu 14.04 Desktop Guide - Forum Guide to BBCode - Using BBCode code tags - IRC #ubuntuforums

Member: Not Canonical Team

Please do not PM me about your forum account unless you have been asked to. The correct place to contact an admin about your account is here.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by coffeecat View Post
    ... experienced members here are good at reporting stuff they are uneasy with. The staff are grateful to such members - without them it would be much more difficult to keep this forum a place the majority can find congenial.
    I second that largely. Without them it would be a dog's breakfast, a free-for-all, and mostly unmanageable.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

The only advice I can give is never run a command someone tells you to without verifying it from another source.

coffeecat is correct the site would grind to a halt if every post had to be moderated before it was posted and because commands which are harmful in one circumstance may be good in another it would not be possible to set up automatic filtering.

There are plenty of people here who if they gave me instructions to do something I would follow without double checking. But, certainly not if I didn't recognise the screen name and know they had a reputation for giving good advice.

That said the majority of people on this site are really good. You get the occasional idiot anywhere.

If you do spot anything that's malicious however report it with the Report post button at the bottom left of each post or in Forum Feedback & Help. The moderators can remove posts and I'm sure they are happy to ban a user who persists in dangerous posts.
    Last edited by Warren Hill; July 24th, 2014 at 07:50 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by coffeecat View Post
    Did you read the announcement I linked to?

We are not going to filter that or any command, because it could interfere with constructive and helpful advice posted here. People need to be educated about potentially destructive commands, whether used maliciously or by accident - hence the announcement. But we also rely on people reporting suspicious stuff so that the staff can take appropriate action. You are relatively new here, so you may not know that experienced members here are good at reporting stuff they are uneasy with. The staff are grateful to such members - without them it would be much more difficult to keep this forum a place the majority can find congenial.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warren Hill View Post
    The only advice I can give is never run a command someone tells you to without verifying it from another source.

coffeecat is correct the site would grind to a halt if every post had to be moderated before it was posted and because commands which are harmful in one circumstance may be good in another it would not be possible to set up automatic filtering.

There are plenty of people here who if they gave me instructions to do something I would follow without double checking. But, certainly not if I didn't recognise the screen name and know they had a reputation for giving good advice.

That said the majority of people on this site are really good. You get the occasional idiot anywhere.

If you do spot anything that's malicious however report it with the Report post button at the bottom left of each post or in Forum Feedback & Help. The moderators can remove posts and I'm sure they are happy to ban a user who persists in dangerous posts.
    +2

I agree with the above posts, but I have a couple of comments.

Certain obscene words are filtered and replaced with asterisks. The very worst commands, like removing all files from root would certainly also be possible to filter in the same way if we really want to.

But there is no way to filter all potentially dangerous commands. Instead we must encourage each other to backup everything that we don't want to lose because things happen related to software (including malicious commands) as well as hardware (including the power grid and theft).

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Warnings do not always work. Think of those people who install Ubuntu by selecting Use the Entire Disk and are then surprised that Ubuntu is installed and Microsoft Windows is no longer on the hard drive.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans

The problem with Windows and OSX is they like to obscure all the yucky geeky stuff from users so they don't have to deal with it, but people don't learn how operating systems work anymore. Even Linux people have a tendency to copy and past commands from the Internet to fix a problem without really understanding what they are doing. People really need to learn how the command line works or they are susceptible to this sort of thing. So, don't ever use a command unless you know what it does first.
    Ubuntu 16.04 x64, Core i7 4770k, 8Gb RAM, Nvidia Gtx 650, Sandisk Extreme 120 SSD.

https://reddingcomputer.wordpress.com/

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast