Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ditched Windows8 for Ubuntu on my new PC

Beans

Ditched Windows8 for Ubuntu on my new PC

Hi all,

I have just joined the forum and I'm hoping to learn a lot about Ubuntu over the next weeks/months/(years?).

I have a netbook which was running Windows7 starter edition. It was frustratingly slow but feels like a new laptop with Mint Xfce running on it. It was a steep learning curve for me to even install a new OS.

Then I got a new PC last week, which came preloaded with Windows8. I really can't convey how annoying this OS was. Within 24 hours it needed a fresh install after forgetting that it had the ability to connect to the internet without wires. I then spent 1/2 a day trying to install updates to 8, so that I could upgrade to 8.1, so that I could install "upgrade 1" and finally be up to date. But it wouldn't play ball.

So I thought "stuff you windows8" and installed Ubuntu (after reading lots of reviews and watching videos etc) not even giving Windows the honour of remaining on the hard disk, living in hope that I might one day boot it up. No.

I have been using Ubuntu 14.04 for a few days now and it's superb. Love it.

So just thought I'd say hi!

N

d-cosner is offline Gee! These Aren't Roasted!
    Beans

Re: Ditched Windows8 for Ubuntu on my new PC

I bought a used laptop that had Windows 8, I quickly replaced it with Ubuntu Gnome. Updating Ubuntu is so muck quicker and easier than updating Windows. Really enjoyed reading you post! Welcome to your new found freedom!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by d-cosner View Post
    I bought a used laptop that had Windows 8, I quickly replaced it with Ubuntu Gnome. Updating Ubuntu is so muck quicker and easier than updating Windows. Really enjoyed reading you post! Welcome to your new found freedom!
    Thanks for the welcome!

Yea installing updates have been a breeze on Mint and Ubuntu. 4 days in now and still really happy with Ubuntu.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Hi there. Welcome to Linux heaven.

I bought my laptop with Windows 8 preinstalled but quickly ditched it and put Ubuntu in. What a good decision too. No more viruses to worry about.
    Don't touch the Linux hat!
    Linux user #572109

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

i dumped my win 8 for ubuntu 14.04 then found xubuntu, cant reccommend it too highly. brilliant os.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Had a Dell laptop with Win 7. Finally had enough of that and loaded Ubuntu and it was a thoroughly refreshing experience. I kept Win7 in a dual boot for work, just in case, but when the laptop started freezing (both in Win and Ubuntu) I bought Gazelle Pro from System 76. Still have Win7 in a Vm (I have a licence).

Never going back to the dark side..

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by fyfe54 View Post
    Had a Dell laptop with Win 7. Finally had enough of that and loaded Ubuntu and it was a thoroughly refreshing experience. I kept Win7 in a dual boot for work, just in case, but when the laptop started freezing (both in Win and Ubuntu) I bought Gazelle Pro from System 76. Still have Win7 in a Vm (I have a licence).

Never going back to the dark side..
    Just googled that Gazelle Pro. That looks nice! Yes I use windows 7 on my work laptop (not allowed to delete it unfortunately). When I come to change my netbook I'll take a good look at that Gazelle.

N

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by noel6 View Post
    i dumped my win 8 for ubuntu 14.04 then found xubuntu, cant reccommend it too highly. brilliant os.
    Why xubuntu over ubuntu 14.04? Is it just lighter on the system hardware?

N

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by pretty_whistle View Post
    Hi there. Welcome to Linux heaven.

I bought my laptop with Windows 8 preinstalled but quickly ditched it and put Ubuntu in. What a good decision too. No more viruses to worry about.
    I know! One of the many benefits it seems . Saves money on antivirus subscriptions too.

N

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Quote Originally Posted by Nathan_McAuley View Post
    Why xubuntu over ubuntu 14.04? Is it just lighter on the system hardware?

N
    Xubuntu is a little bit lighter, but unless you have a very old computer, that aspect of it would not be a major advantage of having xubuntu over ubuntu...xubuntu usually attracts those that have older computers or just don't like unity desktop...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast