Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: L to X

Beans

Re: L to X

Quote Originally Posted by noel6 View Post
    just one more question and i appreciate your help by the way. do you think the latest mint is better than xubuntu and why. please bear in mind i have come from win 8.1 a week ago. i love linux and have nothing to do with ms anymore
    If you have a usb stick try them one at a time live from the stick. Find the one that works for you and then install it to the hd. Xubuntu is about as solid as it gets in my testing of OS.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

thanks. you have been very helpful

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

i dont have a spare stick. could i put bodhi on a cd

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

just one more question and i appreciate your help by the way. do you think the latest mint is better than xubuntu and why. please bear in mind i have come from win 8.1 a week ago. i love linux and have nothing to do with ms anymore
    If your computer has decent specs, you said you come from win 8.1, trying Linux Mint is worth the download. You can burn it to a DVD and boot from it.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

i have 8 gig ram, amd quad core processor 3.2. other bits and pieces. i will try it and see. thanks nerdtron

Beans

I started with Lubuntu then went to Xubuntu. Was just wondering if there was anything that surpasses it. I am somewhat doubtful though. Xubuntu is el supremo to me.
    I would be really interested to hear what you like about Xubuntu (vs Lubuntu). I've been using Lubuntu for about half a year and love the speed of it.

Almost all of the L vs X "reviews" I have Googled focus on either:
    - which packages are bundled with the distro, which is irrelevant because you can install whatever you want in a few minutes;
    - what the wallpaper looks like, WTF?
    - unspecified "eye candy", which is not very important to me - 99% of the time I'm looking at / using one (or more) application(s), not admiring the transparency of the docks.

Thanks, David

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

well as far as speed goes xubuntu is a bit quicker, well on my pc anyway, everything else is as you say. just off the top it feels better

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12