Thread: Web site design causing problems for Screen Readers?

Beans

Web site design causing problems for Screen Readers?

I have two questions which I hope anyone who uses screen readers can help me with. I am a web developer interested in some of the problems the sites we design can cause to users of screen readers, so any guidance will be much appreciated! I have downloaded a trial copy of JAWS and been trying it out.

a) It is becoming increasingly common for web sites to start with the menu first, before the site logo and any other descriptive text about the site. Others sites are placing adverts from third parties above and before the actual site header and logo. It seems to me all this stuff showing before you even know what site you are on must be annoying to screen reader users. Is this much of a problem in actual fact?

b) I know that screen readers allow the user to either (1) have the web page read to them without stopping from beginning to end, or alternatively to (2) jump through the page using the headings, paragraphs, lists etc as landing points. My question on this is, how much is method 1 used. And when you come to a new web site, perhaps from a link from elsewhere, which mode do people usually start in - do they just listen to the page right through first?
    Last edited by howefield; July 17th, 2014 at 10:03 PM. Reason: normalise font.

Beans

Re: Web site design causing problems for Screen Readers?

Well a web design which is simple and easier to navigate don't bring such problems. For example you see these sites IT Help Zone and My Blogger Tricks have simple layout. They show header and title before the menu and hence popular sites.