Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Hardware Enablement Stack update crashed computer

Beans

Hardware Enablement Stack update crashed computer

Hi everybody. I'm new here and new to Ubuntu so please assume I know almost nothing.

I'm running Ubuntu 12.04.4 LTS (GNU/Linux 3.13.0-32-generic x86_64). I installed a few upgrades this morning then saw the HWE upgrade which I installed. At the end I got a message to say that my BOOT sector was nearly full. I was going to restart the computer and then try to sort that out. Mrs Dipper still had programs running so I logged into her account, closed the programs and logged off. Rather than return to my account I got a black screen with a flashing cursor.

After waiting for a while I turned the computer off with the power button and restarted it. The Ubuntu screen came up with a message saying 'The system is running in low-graphics mode. Your screen, graphics card, and input device settings could not be detected correctly. You will need to configure these yourself.'

I then get an option screen for 1: run in low graphics mode 2: reconfigure graphics 3: troubleshoot error or 4: exit to console login.

Option 1 gave a message to stand by for one minute whilst the display restarts but nothing happened. When I pressed return I was taken to the Terminal screen (I think).
    Option 2 asked me how I would like to reconfigure the display (default or backed-up) but selecting either just returned me to the same message.
    Option 3 gave me 4 choices but any of those would be beyond my limited skills
    Option 4 I didn't understand!

I can log in from the screen that comes up in option 1 and I get 'Welcome to Ubuntu etc' and 'Your Hardware Enablement Stack (HME) is supported until April 2007'.

Any help for this complete novice will be greatly appreciated before Mrs Dipper kills me for losing her photos.

Many thanks in advance.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Hardware Enablement Stack update crashed computer

My experience regarding low graphics mode or failsafeX mode is that it is broken. It does not do anything on my system. What can you do in this situation?

1) at the Grub menu select Advanced Options for Ubuntu or Recovery Mode, whichever appears in your Grub boot menu. Recovery mode will give these options

1) resume ====== resume normal boot. It boots without using a proprietary video driver.
    2) clean ======== try to make free space. That may sort out the problem with the boot sector being nearly full.
    3) dpkg ========= repair broken packages. That speaks for itself.
    4) failsafeX ====== run in failsafe graphic mode. Broken if you ask me.
    5) fsck ========= check all file systems. Again, it speaks for itself.
    6) grub ========= update grub boot loader. It runs the update-grub script
    7) network ======= enable networking. Makes a connection to the router and hence to the internet. This is necessary if we are going to use recovery mode to update the system or install applications.
    8) root ========== drop to a root shell prompt. Lets us run the usual terminal commands. To return to the recovery menu type exit. Some of those actions also put the file system in read/write mode which is needed if we are going to use Root to make changes to the file system.

My suggestion is: a) run clean; b) run network; c) run root and run these commands

Code:
    apt-get update
    apt-get upgrade
    exit
    d) run resume. If that gets you to a desktop try changing video drivers using Additional Drivers. You will be in a fall back video mode so it will need a reboot to get a user experience that you are familiar with.

Keep in mind also that the Grub menu gives us access to previous Linux kernels. Sometimes running one of them gets us to a desktop.

If any of this works, make a note of it and then you can give advice to others. And it seems that there will be others getting that upgrade message and hitting this problem.

Regards.
    Last edited by grahammechanical; July 17th, 2014 at 01:31 PM.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans

Thanks Graham. Trying that now.

Beans

OK. Ran clean and accepted the recommended items to remove. A few error messages seemed to scroll across the screen but too fast to see what they were. Anyway, it reached the end and I returned to the menu.

Ran network and it loaded all sorts of plugins. The last process was 16423 followed by 7 plugins. Now there is a flashing cursor at the bottom and no instructions to press enter to return to the menu.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

What is your video card?

I have a old Nvidia card on my test system and I found the HWE would not allow the Nvidia-173 driver to install.

I had to get it to load the Nouveau driver.

To remove Nvidia driver I used
    Code:
    sudo apt-get remove nvidia*
    and then rebooted.
    I also had to select 2D mode at the login screen.

On my main system I will wait until the 14.04.1 upgrade is offered.

Good Luck
    Hypertension = Take with a pinch of salt
    | Psychocats | Ubuntu Documentation | Howto [Solved] | BBcode list | Brother Website |

Beans

Thanks for the input Plucky. I don't know what my card is. It's a new HP computer preloaded with Ubuntu so I didn't have to do anything myself - that seemed the safest option considering my computer skills.

I'm still stuck on the network screen with the flashing cursor. Return and exit don't do anything. Should I just switch off at the power switch and start it up again?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

@dipper2

I am having the same problem with Recovery>Network and I should not be getting it. I am using a fully functional Utopic Unicorn updated this morning with the newest kernel. And when I try Recovery>Network the script does not complete. The message is

could not find support for '/sys/device/pci ... blah, blah ... not supported by any plugin
    I do not approve of bad mouthing developers but they sure messed up this time.

To get out of that broken Network action we do a hard power off. It is the only way that I could find. Now we need the file system in read/write mode and a simple way to do it and we need a network connection because I am hoping that an update/upgrade might bring in some fix. So,

at the recovery menu run

1) dpkg. That will put the file system into read/write mode
    2) root. That will give us a root prompt. Now we can run

Code:
    ifup -a
    apt-get update
    apt-get upgrade
    exit
    That should let us update/upgrade the system which might fix things. Before Exiting root we could also try dpkg again. Just for luck.
    Code:
     /lib/recovery-mode/options/dpkg
    and you might try the suggested

Code:
    apt-get remove nvidia*
    provided that you have an Nvidia card. sudo is not needed at the root prompt. I do not know what the command is for AMD/Ati cards. All this can be done from recovery root but we do need a network connection to update.

Resume may get us to a desktop.

Edit: to find out what video card you have run

Code:
    ubuntu-drivers devices
    Regards.
    Last edited by grahammechanical; July 17th, 2014 at 03:12 PM.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans

No change I'm afraid Graham. I got lots of error messages scrolling past. It also wouldn't accept the sudo-apt remove NVidia* command. Still giving the low graphics warning.

There is a factory reset option. Is that worth doing or will I lose all my data?

Beans

@grahammechanic I don't know whether it is significant, but my computer never managed to install linux-image-3.5.0-49-generic and linux-image-3.5.0-51-generic.

Beans

Can you possibly boot an older kernel if you choose advanced options from the grub menu?

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast