Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: No sound, no video, no printer, no scanner

Beans

Post No sound, no video, no printer, no scanner

after having downloaded the Ubuntu 14.04 Beta distro, I now find that I have none of the above. I have gone through a manual I found on Google /good old Google. In addition, my keyboard has gone mad, before I could type accents etc in French and Spanish, now I cannot even use it properly for English, because I clicked the language as English.

I have hunted through looking for addtional drivers Jockey /KKDE, Pulse audio, all reads very nice, but I cannot locate them.

To date, all I have is a great big headache, and feel like throwing the whole lot out the window.

However, on reading through the manual The Kubuntu Handbook, there seeems to be a lot of features, but I cannot find them, and they do not seem to be functioning. Perhaps this OS is for people who just love ssitting around and wading through paper and screens to get what they want. I just want a computer I can use, with Audio, Video, Email etc.Is theree a soluction for a non tech person.
    Last edited by howefield; July 25th, 2014 at 10:36 PM. Reason: normalised font.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: No sound, no video, no printer, no scanner

well i am unable to help you but all i can say is dont give up. a few hurdles will soon be overcome and you will be more than happy with it. with your printer click on your printer icon, add printer and away you go. follow the instructions.

Beans

Not sure what you mean by 14.04 Ubutnu Beta. 14.04 is the latest release, not beta.

You should be downloading 14.04 64-bit from here:

http://www.ubuntu.com/download/desktop

There is no KDE in Ubuntu, if you want KDE then you would download Kubuntu:

http://www.kubuntu.org/getkubuntu

Are you sure there is not a problem with the ISO you downloaded or the CD/DVD or Thumbdrive you created?

Will the live DVD or Thumbdrive run Ubuntu without installing it?

Lastly, what make and model of computer are you running it on? We need to know what hardware you are trying to use. Without specifics, we are just shooting in the dark.

Beans

You need to clarify some things. In addition to what is asked above, your initial paragraph indicates you have Ubuntu 14.04 (the final release was April, 2014, it's not beta) and in your last paragraph you indicate that you are using the Kubuntu handbook and not finding features described there. That is because Kubuntu and Ubuntu are not the same and the Desktop environment is different. Looking for applications, etc. described in the Kubuntu handbook won't help much in Ubuntu.

Beans

Thanks for the repliess. I got the DVD from issue 138 with "live booting distros _ Ubuntu 14.04 Beta. A friend installed the DVD. I don't know if he knew what he was doing, but he knew more than me. My PC is a Sony Cool, with approx 160kkb of memory, and 1.5 GB of Ram. It is not particularly slow. The printer is Lexmark 2300 series "Two in One" Scanner and printer. The computer has never given me any bother, I had all the facilities of sound etc. I needed to changed because the OS was XP. It is all about 7 years old now. Apologies that I mixed up Kkubuntu with Ubuntu, but I was desperate to find some help.

What do you advise. RL

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Hello, Rosaleen_Leiva

It is very difficult to try to work through a "laundry list" of "everything is broken" in one thread.

Could you pick one problem that is the most troublesome and let us work on that to get it resolved?

Then you can start a new thread for each of the other problems.

(By the way, my first instinct is that the installation was partially botched.)
    Last edited by QIII; July 17th, 2014 at 08:20 PM.
    Please read The Forum Rules and The Forum Posting Guidelines

A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.

Beans

Thanks for reply. I'm willing to concede that the printer might not work. However, if I can get the sound working, i.e. video and radio, I would feel justified in buying a new printer=ssscanner, if that was necessary.

I can't even rely on my keyboard, all the keys seems to have changed. Grateful for practical help. My friend used a small programme called "sloopy dog" to fix settings, or so he said, before installing the disk.
    I'm not too technically minded, but you people may know what that is.

Regards RL

Beans

If it were me, I would download a fresh, official copy from Ubuntu, burn the DVD and do a fresh install. When there are that many issues, especially when a friend is poking around with things you don't understand, it's quicker to just do a proper installation. Working from a broken base may be a fun puzzle, but you would have to work on one problem at a time.

Beans

Thanks for the repliess. I got the DVD from issue 138 with "live booting distros _ Ubuntu 14.04 Beta
    Issue 138 of what? Some computer magazine? Anyhow, I think the suggestion above to download the final release version and burn it to a DVD is good advice. The "beta" in the name means that it is a test version and one really can't expect everything to work, it's for people to test and report back to the developers.

Beans

I think it's from Linux User's Magazine.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast