Thread: need to load kernel first

Beans

Re: need to load kernel first

yes, i did, even the very first in a list, not succeeded

anyhow, appreciate attention of all who tries to assist me

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by grahammechanical View Post
    First, Grub does not use terminal commands. Grub has its own set of commands. But the simple and easy way to solve this is to use a live session to back up your data and then re-install. I have done this in the past. I keep all my documents on a separate partition so that re-installing is almost painless.

Regards.

hello,

can you tell me, step-by-step, how to proceed?

thanks in advance

Beans

What you want to have a according to what you quoted is a separate data partition. What you want there is to reinstall and when the formatting section comes up set it up with a separate partition for /home.

Google is your friend ... though I rarely use it, usually startpage or duckduckgo. Search for "ubuntu install separate /home partition" or something like that.

When doing that kind of thing remember that sources actually from ubuntu sites are usually preferable to others. There are some very good ones of the latter but the thing is, just because someone writes a linux blog does NOT mean they know what they're talking about. I've seen pretty bad advice out there.

My netbook has had some hardware support issues previous to 14.04 so I've desktop/distro hopped a bit before settling on xubuntu 14.04. In the process I've lost whatever fear I had of installing ... at least with ubuntu, not something like Gentoo.

Sometimes it really is faster and easier to reinstall rather than try to find out what the problem is. And if you install with a separate /home partition all your user data and program settings are still there the next time you reinstall ... unless you forget to not tick the box to format /home.

Nevertheless, even though your data would still be there you still want it backed up.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12