Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Chromium vs Firefox

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: Chromium vs Firefox

Chrome has some really nice extensions...also, i think it renders web pages nicer then firefox...not that firefox is bad, but in Chrome, things look BETTER to my eyes, anyway...
    And Opera i believe is now based on Chromium...I don't miss the lack of java plug in, although do miss not having the quicktime plug in as i use to watch movie trailers on the itunes movie trailer site but there are tons of other places i can watch them And those plugs ins will be gone from the windows and mac versions too by the year's end...

Meanwhile, i read that firefox is taking those plug ins out too soon and they still have no good replacement for flash as of yet that is ready for prime time...

Chrome is better and more full features then chromium as it is more up to date, more stable has the latest adobe flash in it's pepperflash plug in and also installs a ppa so that you get the newest version in ubuntu software updater as soon as it is released...a winner all the way...
    Last edited by craig10x; July 16th, 2014 at 02:24 AM.

Beans

Opera uses the pepperflash plug in and I will attached a few screen shots as well.

Beans

Years ago, Opera had a wonderful feature: as with most other browsers, pressing the spacebar would equal using the PageDown key except when one reaches the very bottom; in that case, pressing the spacebar would open the next page in a multipage document and even in a multipage thread in a forum.

Does the Blink-based Opera for Linux still do that?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by craig10x View Post

Meanwhile, i read that firefox is taking those plug ins out too soon and they still have no good replacement for flash as of yet that is ready for prime time...
    No, Firefox isn't taking the plugins out, just making them 'ask to activate' instead of 'always activate' by default. So you have to click a button to load them the first time and click
    'remember' for a per site basis. But you can change the default behaviour easily (takes 2 seconds from Tools > Addons > Plugins and choose "always activate" for the plugin in question). I always set flash to 'ask to activate' anyway, which is basically what flashblock did before (strangely it is the only plugin that is loaded by default)

You can install pepper flash in FF now
    http://www.webupd8.org/2014/05/insta...in-ubuntu.html

I have installed it on Ubuntu 13.10 (via ppa) and Fedora 20 (compiling), it works very well even for a pre-alpha (all video and audio streaming sites I tested work, the max/min buttons on some sites didn't work before but are working now) I don't notice any lag or freeze which I expected at first. The are a few missing features like webcam not recognized and no hardware acceleration but if you don't need these it is already a drop in replacement for system flash, I see no difference in video playback (and smoother and faster than pipelight flash)
    Last edited by monkeybrain20122; July 16th, 2014 at 03:42 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by vasa1 View Post
    Years ago, Opera had a wonderful feature: as with most other browsers, pressing the spacebar would equal using the PageDown key except when one reaches the very bottom; in that case, pressing the spacebar would open the next page in a multipage document and even in a multipage thread in a forum.

No behaves much like chromium at the moment.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by vasa1 View Post

PageDown brings the screen down one full screen as does the spacebar, for the next page I have not tried that yet.

Beans

Double post. Sorry.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

well i have dumped chromium and have the normal chrome as backup. it does work better than chromium although i will not be using it. google is a bit like ms, they want to know everything

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

who doesn't these days?
    but i don't think google is particularly interested in what noel6 or craig10x is doing on his computer, so i wouldn't be too concerned

d-cosner is offline Gee! These Aren't Roasted!
    Beans

Both Chrome and Firefox seem fine to me they both have their advantages and shortcomings. Seems like this topic has come up many times before. Use what works best for you.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast