Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Black or white screen after shutdown: Ubuntu 14.04

Beans

Black or white screen after shutdown: Ubuntu 14.04

I've recently installed Ubuntu 14.04 again since about a month ago or so I started using it and it suddenly shutdown my computer or sent it into a black or white screen. I'm not sure if it's the encryption on the operating system or my laptop. If anyone could help me I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks in advanced.
    Last edited by Bucky Ball; July 16th, 2014 at 07:04 AM. Reason: Changed generic title to improve support chances.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: Anyone having problems with ubuntu 14.04?

More information is needed in order to help.

What is your hardware specifications?, specifically, what is your graphics card?, CPU?, RAM ?, is it a dual boot system or it has only ubuntu 14.04?.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Overheating can cause sudden shutdowns and video problems. Check that the vents are open and free of dust.

Beans

I've had ubuntu before installed on the same computer for about 2yrs. now it's the first time the computer shutsdown or the screen goes either white or black at random times I've tried re-installing it but it doesn't finish because as mention earlier it either shutsdown or gives me a white or black screen.

Beans

its all the stock hardware that came with the toshiba laptop originally windows vista it has 2gb ram it's an intel pentium dual core cpu, it's only ubuntu installed on it, nvidia graphics card i believe.

Beans

Go into "Software and Updater" and select "Additional Drivers" and see if it shows any additional drivers.

Beans

I tried it with an additional hard drive I have for it with Kali installed on it and it was working fine but when I was installing updates the screen went black. in terms of ubuntu I tried re-installing it and the screen went black. it weird because the previous version was working fine never did what it's doing now.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by OR83 View Post
    ...toshiba laptop ...2gb ram it's an intel pentium dual core cpu ...nvidia graphics card i believe.
    No problem with Ubuntu Unity (64-bit) 14.04 and Lenovo T400 Thinkpad with similar hardware - 2GB of RAM, Centrino 2 (duo core intel) with intel graphics.

Which I would guess your trouble is with the hybrid graphics - nvidia.

Beans

as much as I hate to say it I'm going to try re-installing windows and then see how that works out for about an hour before removing it and re-installing ubuntu again. I'm going to feel naked without ubuntu but at least it would be for about 1 hour.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Rather than take the time to re-install Ubuntu just to see if the same problem occurs, why not just test with a livecd in "Try Ubuntu Without Installing" mode.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast