Thread: MacBook Pro Retina 2013 not recognizing any USB-connected devices

Beans

MacBook Pro Retina 2013 not recognizing any USB-connected devices

Hi,

So, I'm running Ubuntu 14.04 on a MacBook Pro Retina 2013 model. Earlier today, my computer froze when I opened it after having suspended it. I had to hold down the power button and force it to shut down. Now, when I've started it again, it does not recognize any devices that I connect to the USB port on its left-hand side. I've tried with a mouse, keyboard and my mobile. However, it does charge my phone when it is connected, but does not react to it. The USB port on the right-hand side works fine, and when I connect my phone to it I get a dialog confirming that it's been connected.

What causes this, and what can I do to fix it?

Beans

Re: MacBook Pro Retina 2013 not recognizing any USB-connected devices

Well,

Restarting my computer a bunch of times didn't help. So I kind of gave up, and left my computer, forgetting to turn it of. Since it was running on battery it died sometime during the night. When I connected it the charger again this morning and booted the computer, the USB port was working again. Why is it that reboots didn't help, but depleting the battery did?

Beans

Re: MacBook Pro Retina 2013 not recognizing any USB-connected devices

Just wanted to mention that I had the same issue (left USB port going dead). I have a 15" MacBook Pro Retina mid 2014 running Ubuntu 14.04 (dual booting with OS X). My left USB port suddenly stopped working and no amount of re-booting helped. Not even switching helped. I then came accross the solution above from Sahin and decided to try it. I let the power drain from the laptop, then when I re-plugged it, the left USB port was now working. I still have no idea why it happened in the first place.