Page 34 of 38 FirstFirst ... 243233343536 ... LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: Setup easy web development environment (XAMPP)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: HOWTO: Setup easy web development environment (XAMPP)

I only unknowned Sweet XAMPP Control Panel.

Thanks for the Tuto

Beans

You can not have 2 different instances of Apache running like this it appears as though you install the synaptic package for apache somewhere along the line either through apt-get install apache2 or used the GUI... which has seem to have broken your xampp the reasons why you are able to browse to the http://localhost/ and get a message saying it works is because your ubuntu is directly running apache not XAMPP.... this is why your xampp applet is saying that it is not running. Furthermore Xampp will not work since your xampp install is self contained with the apache,mysql,phpadmin etc... and the instance of apache that is the webserver is on it own.

if you drop down to a shell and type "sudo /opt/lampp/lampp start" if it is not started already or if it is started "sudo /opt/lampp/lampp restart" and watch the screen it will first say the Apache is not running when it goes to shut down the program then once it does it will not allow it to start because another Apache Server is already running. Which is the other install...

Simple fix get rid of the synaptic repo's for Apache and once you do so things should be A ok...

Quote Originally Posted by EJI View Post
    Hi Guys,

I am unable to get apache to start using Xampp Control Panel or cli

1st problem:
    mysql stopped
    apache stopped

using webmin 1.5 stopped mysql server. stopped apache server.

used xampp control panel.

mysgl RUNNING
    apache STOPPED

Start Apache via webmin, still no luck

Here is my installed packages of apache on my sys:

Installed packages for apache:
    libapache2-mod-php5, apache2-mpm-prefork,apache2-utils,
    apache2.2-bin,apache2.2-common

Am I missing a package?

When I run http://localhost i get message It Works!

Thanks
    EJI

Beans

Hello;

First of all thank you for your tutorial.

I installed the xampp just fine and its working. Then I tried to make a shorcut to /applications/internet as you told.

I wrote the code, then i copy and paste the other code to empty page. When i tried to save it I have a problem.
    It says;

"Could not find the file /home/onur/.local/share/…mpp-control-panel.desktop."
    "Please check that you typed the location correctly and try again."

What should i do to fix this?

Edit: i solved my problem. Dont answer this.

Thank you
    Last edited by honnour; May 3rd, 2010 at 08:40 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by diabolicalspooz View Post
    Simple fix get rid of the synaptic repo's for Apache and once you do so things should be A ok...
    This is my problem also, if I get this right:

system
    admin
    synaptic
    status
    installed
    quick search "apache"

then uninstall all ?

when i tried the code (downloaded xampp latest version) the terminal spits back at me saying

tar: you may not specify more than one "-acdtrux" option....

what am i supposed to do?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by ReyPeste View Post
    Ok, after my overly long and meandering explanation, I just wanted to say I finally figured out what was wrong. Obviously it was a very simple and kind of dumb thing, that goes to show I am just starting to understand all this stuff. But maybe my experience can save some wasted hours to other newbies. Basically, if you are having trouble with the apache server accesing files elsewhere on your filesystem (via symlinks), you have to make sure that the whole path (all the directories) can be accessed by others.
    In my case, the folder 'Documents' was not readable and my web pages were inside a sub-sub-folder of that one. So even though I changed the permissions of all my webfiles and of the htdocs, and everything, I still got the 403 forbidden access error.
    So I simply checked the permissions of my other folders from my home down to my webpages folder by right-clicking, and then selecting
    Properties > Permissions [tab] > and changing the third option "Others -
    Folder Access" to Access Files.
    So you see it is a very basic mistake, but at the moment it was not so evident as it now seems.
    Thank you very much for posting this. I'm just starting out myself, and I got tripped up by this same issue. You probably saved me several hours of frustration.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by craig0927 View Post
    I got tripped up by this same issue. .
    I have the same issue but when I go to the permission tab it wont let me choose anything. I think it has to do with....is that the files for xampp are on my main file system which is a non-writable file and anything on it cant be altered without super user powers.

can someone tell me how to make a file writable in non-writable main file????? I guess single it out somehow

I am running Ubuntu 9......whatever

I was trying to save a file in the XAMPP file and it wont let me!!!!!

thank u

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: HOWTO: Setup easy web development environment (XAMPP) Access forbidden!

Hi,

I'm using Ubuntu 10.04 and XAMPP installed fine, and I can access the sample screen fine, but when I ran sudo
    Code:
    ln -s ~/projects/test /opt/lampp/htdocs/test
    and try to access localhost/test I get

Code:
    Access forbidden!
    You don't have permission to access the requested object. It is either read-protected or not readable by the server.
    in my error_log I get

Code:
    [error] [client 127.0.0.1] Symbolic link not allowed or link target not accessible: /opt/lampp/htdocs/test

How do I change permissions so that I can access the link?

SOLVED:

Instead of using the command line to create the link, I right clicked on my test folder, selected "make link", and then copied it to /opt/lampp/htdocs

the command to create the link must be broken
    Last edited by waspinator; June 3rd, 2010 at 12:31 AM. Reason: SOLVED

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by petervk View Post
    This is a how-to for setting up a web development environment easily. This guide will install the XAMPP lampp stack into /opt, setup an easy way to start it up and shut it down, and link a folder in your home directory to the webserver.
    . . .

Location of files and uploading

XAMPP by default uses /opt/lampp/htdocs as the root web directory. The easiest way to start working on files is to link a folder in your home directory into this directory.
    My user name is peter so I have /home/peter/public_html linked to /opt/lampp/htdocs/peter. So if I navigate to http://localhost/peter/ I get a listing of all the files/folders in that directory. (As long is there isn't a index.php/html/etc file)
    To set this up, run in a terminal:
    1. Make public_html directory in home directory:
      Code:
      mkdir ~/public_html
    2. Link to /opt/lampp/htdocs
      Code:
      sudo ln -s ~/public_html /opt/lampp/htdocs/$USER

Now any files and folders you place in ~/public_html will be published to your personal webserver.
    I've done this, and it works, but relative URLs to sub-folders are not working. E.g.,
    Code:
    href="Styles/docStyles4.css"

background-image:url('images/shore.jpg');
    Styles and images are sub-folders in my public_html folder, and they are evidently not found, since the styles and image are not used.
    What must I do to get this to work?

Thanks

Added on 07-03-10:
    Problem solved. It was not due to the link. I had some permission issues, and also relative URLs seem to work differently than I've encountered before. Instead of
    Code:
    href="Styles/docStyles4.css"
    I've had to use an address starting at the server root, htdocs:
    Code:
    href="/walt/Styles/docStyles4.css"
    where "walt" is my home directory (and the name of the link in htdocs).
    Last edited by walt11; July 3rd, 2010 at 07:39 PM. Reason: Solved!

Beans

this is a great tutorial on how to install XAMPP on Linux.
    i have followed the steps mentioned here and XAMPP works fine.

nonetheless, anyone has an idea how to configure the XAMPP for using Joomla CMS.......
    copy pasting the Joomla Files into the htdocs folder of XAMPP (like the way it's described for installing jommla on XAMPP in Windows) does not seem to work out.

Page 34 of 38 FirstFirst ... 243233343536 ... LastLast