Page 29 of 38 FirstFirst ... 192728293031 ... LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: Setup easy web development environment (XAMPP)

Beans

Re: HOWTO: Setup easy web development environment (XAMPP)

Is your XAMPP symbolic link not working?
    If you bite the bullet and install apache2 normally into Ubuntu, following the instruction link in my earlier post, you will be taken through setting the document path to whatever you like. In my case I have it set to /home/paul/websites because its my personal development machine but you could add multiple virtual hosts on a multi user system so that each person can have their own local collection of websites.

Keeps it simple.

Beans

Hi y'all,
    I followed these instructions on Ubuntu 9.04, but still can't get a test page to work:

http://localhost/

I get, 'Page Load Error'.

Here is the output from the command:

$sudo /opt/lampp/lampp status
    Version: XAMPP for Linux 1.5.3a
    Apache is not running.
    MySQL is running.
    ProFTPD is running.

It seems to me that, 'Apache is not running' is the problem- my question is, how do I fix it?

Many thanks.

Beans

Works great on Ubuntu 9.04, thanks a lot! .

Beans

Hello,
    I tried installing XAMPP via the instructions on the first page of this thread. All was going well, until I tried actually running it:
    Code:
    ~/Desktop$ sudo /opt/lampp/lampp start
    Starting XAMPP for Linux 1.5.3a...                    
    XAMPP: Starting Apache with SSL (and PHP5)...         
    XAMPP: Starting MySQL...                              
    /opt/lampp/bin/mysql.server: 84: source: not found    
    XAMPP: Starting ProFTPD...                            
    XAMPP for Linux started.                              
    ~/Desktop$ /opt/lampp/bin/mysql.server: 334: log_success_msg: not found
    At this point I tried going to http://localhost/ and got a "Failed to Connect to Server" error.
    I ran the command to stop the server anyway... The command prompt didn't come back up after "log_success_msg: not found" above -- I don't know if that matters:

Code:
    sudo /opt/lampp/lampp stop
    Stopping XAMPP for Linux 1.5.3a...
    XAMPP: XAMPP-Apache is not running.
    XAMPP: Stopping MySQL...           
    XAMPP: Stopping ProFTPD...         
    XAMPP stopped.
    Anyone have an idea what the problem might be? I also tried going to the directory "~/.local/share/applications/xampp-control-panel.desktop" to set up the GUI interface as mentioned, but there was no "applications" folder in my "share" directory...

Thanks for any help in advance. I'm a bit of a newbie to this, but I'm trying to learn to do things from the command line instead of relying on GUIs.

Beans

I seem to have the same problem as EvolutionFallen. Restarting xampp didn't work. Additionally I sometimes get this when restarting:

Code:
    Stopping XAMPP for Linux 1.5.3a...
    XAMPP: XAMPP-Apache is not running.
    XAMPP: Stopping MySQL...
    XAMPP: Stopping ProFTPD...
    XAMPP stopped.
    Starting XAMPP for Linux 1.5.3a...
    XAMPP: Starting Apache with SSL (and PHP5)...
    /opt/lampp/bin/mysql.server: 84: source: not found
    XAMPP: Starting MySQL...
    XAMPP: Starting ProFTPD...
    XAMPP for Linux started.

root@agilius-laptop:~# /opt/lampp/bin/mysql.server: 334: log_success_msg: not found
    I installed exactly as this guide described, I saw no error or anything during the installation. Might it be because I used root for this?

Thanks in advance!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Hi,

i got this error after install xampp and start xampp.

create a folder in home folder and link to /opt/lampp/htdocs/

when access http://localhost/username/drupal-6.14/install.php

Deprecated: Function ereg() is deprecated in /home/aik/public_html/drupal-6.14/includes/file.inc on line 902

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/aik/public_html/drupal-6.14/includes/file.inc:902) in /home/aik/public_html/drupal-6.14/includes/install.inc on line 618

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/aik/public_html/drupal-6.14/includes/file.inc:902) in /home/aik/public_html/drupal-6.14/includes/install.inc on line 619

anyone can advise on this?
    i am lost
    cannot reach the drupal/install.php

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by seuzo View Post
    Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/aik/public_html/drupal-6.14/includes/file.inc:902) in /home/aik/public_html/drupal-6.14/includes/install.inc on line 618

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/aik/public_html/drupal-6.14/includes/file.inc:902) in /home/aik/public_html/drupal-6.14/includes/install.inc on line 619
    That warning happens when PHP tries to send header information to the browser after output has already been sent to it. Sometimes it's caused by extra whitespace at the end of a file. Other times it can be that some code was sent to output before whatever header function is being called. Usually you can fix it by finding the whitespace and deleting it, or by using PHP's output buffering fcns, I think.
    Alas, I've never used Drupal so I don't know how exactly to solve the problem. But if you know PHP you might be able to figure it out. A search on Google may help too.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by EvolutionFallen View Post
    That warning happens when PHP tries to send header information to the browser after output has already been sent to it. Sometimes it's caused by extra whitespace at the end of a file. Other times it can be that some code was sent to output before whatever header function is being called. Usually you can fix it by finding the whitespace and deleting it, or by using PHP's output buffering fcns, I think.
    Alas, I've never used Drupal so I don't know how exactly to solve the problem. But if you know PHP you might be able to figure it out. A search on Google may help too.
    But i did not try to edited anything. is a new installation. possible to happen?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Quote Originally Posted by seuzo View Post
    Hi,

i got this error after install xampp and start xampp.

create a folder in home folder and link to /opt/lampp/htdocs/

when access http://localhost/username/drupal-6.14/install.php

Deprecated: Function ereg() is deprecated in /home/aik/public_html/drupal-6.14/includes/file.inc on line 902

It seems that XAMP 1.7.2 and drupal 6.13 and earlier have this problem, because I tried with XAMP 1.7.1 and drupal 6.12 and all it's OK, but when trying with XAMP 1.7.2 and Drupal 6.13 I encountred the same probleme as you.
    I advise you to install LAMP : sudo tasksel
    then choose LAMP, hit OK
    after the istallation is done you can create a folder in home folder and link to /opt/lampp/www/
    Good luck

Beans
    Distro

Thumbs down Re: HOWTO: Setup easy web development environment (XAMPP)

oh. What is LAMP?

LAMP is a software ? is will install Apache? (web server)

does it include MySQL?
    because i wanted to install drupal CMS to try out.

sorry that i am nob on ubuntu but interested to know all this knowledge.

Any info link i can read up on LAMP?
    Last edited by seuzo; September 23rd, 2009 at 03:52 PM. Reason: typo error

Page 29 of 38 FirstFirst ... 192728293031 ... LastLast