Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Change default session

Beans

Change default session

Hi there,
    I have kubuntu 13.04 and recently i've made the update of some aplications and after that i only can login at the XBMC session, before this problem, i didn't even realized that i had a session for the XBMC.

So at the desktop environment i only can log in on this session, and i can't use the operating system, only the XMBC application

After that problem happened, i can change to the terminal mode (Ctrl+Alt+F1) at login and see if i could change the session or fix this problem, the thing is i can see the files that have the configuraton of the session, but i can't change them effectively.
    for instance: i can see the session files on ~/.kde/share/config/sessions/ kmix and kwin and both seems to be ok.
    at /var/lib/AccountsServices/users/ i can see my user file, and there, on the XSession parameter, there is XBMC. If i change this value and reboot my machine, nothing happens
    at /usr/share/xsessions i can see both files: kde-plasma.desktop and XBMC.desktop, so i think that the solution would be to change the session on my user file, but even doing that, after a reboot, the file is changed to have the session XBMC.

How can i change the session effectively?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: Change default session

Reboot the machine. When you get to the login screen you will find a drop-down menu 'Sessions'. You should be able to choose the correct desktop environment session from that.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Bucky Ball View Post
    Reboot the machine. When you get to the login screen you will find a drop-down menu 'Sessions'. You should be able to choose the correct desktop environment session from that.
    That's the problem. I used to have only one session: KDE, but after the update of XBMC, on my login screen i can only see/choose the XBMC session as shown on the image attached.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Bucky Ball; July 14th, 2014 at 03:23 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Please attach large images by using 'Go Advanced' or 'Adv Reply' and clicking the paperclip icon. Thanks.

Now that is odd. Where you have your cursor in the screenshot, directly over the 'xbmc' button. What happens when you click it? Do you get a selection of sessions?

Beans

That's the only session that is displayed to me to select.As i said on the first post, i have 2 sessions on at /usr/share/xsessions, but i can only select XBMC

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Try
    sudo apt-get install --reinstall linux-image-$(uname -r)
    and restart

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Ringi View Post
    Try

and restart
    ? Doubt the image has gone anywhere. If going this way, better, and less drastic, would be:

Code:
    sudo apt-get install unity
    Install the desktop environment again and see if that brings things into shape. Although I doubt Unity has gone anywhere, either. Are you getting a list of kernel options at boot? If not, try hitting shift directly after the BIOS screen at boot and that should bring up the list. You possibly just need to choose the correct kernel.

Beans

first thing I would check is what desktop sessions are available according to

Code:
    ls /usr/share/xsessions/

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by Bucky Ball View Post
    ? Doubt the image has gone anywhere.
    It just reinstall the image, this works for me, I have 9 sessions.

ringi@ringi-Lenovo-Ideapad-Flex-15:~$ ls /usr/share/xsessions/
    cairo-dock.desktop
    gnome.desktop
    gnome-fallback.desktop
    ubuntu.desktop
    xubuntu.desktop
    gnome-classic.desktop
    gnome-fallback-compiz.desktop
    kde-plasma.desktop
    xfce.desktop
    ringi@ringi-Lenovo-Ideapad-Flex-15:~$
    Last edited by xc3RnbFO8P; July 15th, 2014 at 11:08 AM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by steeldriver View Post
    first thing I would check is what desktop sessions are available according to
    Code:
    ls /usr/share/xsessions/
    As i said on first post, i have 2 files (sessions): XBMC.desktop and kde-plasma.desktop
    Quote Originally Posted by Ringi View Post
    It just reinstall the image, this works for me, I have 9 sessions.ringi@ringi-Lenovo-Ideapad-Flex-15:~$ ls /usr/share/xsessions/cairo-dock.desktop gnome.desktop gnome-fallback.desktop ubuntu.desktop xubuntu.desktopgnome-classic.desktop gnome-fallback-compiz.desktop kde-plasma.desktop xfce.desktopringi@ringi-Lenovo-Ideapad-Flex-15:~$
    I think that the image that i have is ok, and i dont want to install another desktop environment, i just want to configure KDE to show and use the kde session.but i will try at the weekend the image reinstall.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast