Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Buyers Beware

Beans

Buyers Beware

I thought I'd share my experience with System76 and my Galago UltraPro.

I purchased my UltraPro once they fixed the keyboard issues that initially plagued the device. I use it in a climate controlled office for about 10-20hrs a week SSH'ing into our Linux servers to configure the custom software the company I work for develops. It was working great up until about a week ago when it suddenly started shutting down immediately upon waking from sleep. I contacted support and we determined it was likely overheating due to the failure of the exhaust fans not spinning.

No biggie, this stuff happens so an RMA was pulled and I packaged it in the original packaging (double boxed, foam, bubble wrap) and shipped it to their repair facility in CA. After a few days I receive a message that it's going to cost me 269 dollars to repair due to the physical damage to the laptop which caused the fan failure. I inform them that there was zero physical damage to the device when I shipped it and they send me pictures of the damage and it looks more like prying damage done to the device by an inexperienced technician but they tell me that this is the type of damage they expect to see from usage in the field. Huh?

I reiterate that this is not how I shipped it and request to speak to a manager/supervisor and I'm denied being told that "escalating to a manager so that I can state the same thing isn't going to change this". Awesome support huh?

So knowing that there was no physical damage, heck there was zero wear marks or scuff marks of any kind when I sent it in I refuse to pay the bogus repair fee and request they send it back in the state it's in. I'm told that they will ask their lead tech to investigate the possibility that it happened there, a day goes by, I ask for an update and...no response. More great support.

While some may say that the damage could have happened in shipping I believe the box would have had to be mangled and if that was the case they should have opened it while UPS was there and opened a case with them if it was indeed a shipping issue.

Now that I'm seeing other user's are experiencing the same problem I'd like to warn them about this shady practice. I'm sure some of you have had a great experience with System76 and/or their support but mine has been less than stellar and neither myself nor the company I work for will be purchasing any other products from them in the future.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans

Re: Buyers Beware

Just got a response.

They confirmed that the shipping package did not look damaged and admit it does look like prying may have been done to the device they believe it's "unlikely" that one of their techs would have done this.

So since I refuse to pay for damage that mysteriously happened to my laptop it appears I'll be getting it back unusable and in worse shape.

Instead of fixing the issue, making a customer and business happy, and putting measures in place so that this does not happen to another individual, System76 would rather save a few bucks and lose future purchases.

I wish everyone the best of luck with their hardware issues. As for myself and the company I work for, we will be moving on to one of their competitors who hopefully cares about their customers and company reputation.

Beans

Thank you so much for posting on your experience. Unfortunately, it is eerily familiar. I have documented my horror story here.

Beans

Thank you for sharing your experiences with the System76 support staff. I can assure you that our technicians would never pry open any products causing damage to the system. Out of the thousands of machines we sell every month, we rarely hear complaints like this and there are usually other circumstances involved that are not mentioned in these forum posts. We understand your frustration and did not intend to provide a negative experience for you by providing the laptop repair costs. Our technicians will contact you shortly about shipping your computer back from the repair facility.

Beans

Hi Emma,

Thanks for chiming in but unfortunately the fact of the matter is, someone at System76 damaged this laptop. I have heard back from your support staff and they will be shipping this back to me without repair and with physical damage.

System76 should be ashamed of their business practices. I shipped the laptop back to System76 in brand new condition and now will be receiving a defective laptop in return that is worse condition that I sent it in. All System76 keeps saying is that "our new guy has 8yrs of experience and he would never do this". That's hardly comforting.

System76 support is terrible and only concerned about making a quick buck. The fact that your staff refused to escalate the matter to a manager/supervisor telling me "escalating to a manager so you can state the same thing isn't going to change this" shows me that the company has no direction by management or that management doesn't even care about how the business is run.

To everyone else considering purchasing a System76 device I strongly recommend against it. There are other companies offering the same devices that I'm sure have better support and care about their reputation and customers.

Beans

Just got confirmation that the repair facility is shipping my laptop back unrepaired.

Thanks for taking my $1,300, System76. You should all be proud of your company.

Terrible overall experience, thanks for the big F-U.

Beans

Just got another update that they want to talk to UPS but they are not expecting anything to change which will delay shipping my defective laptop back to me.

So now I'm out $1300 and will get a defective laptop...sometime.

Beans

Hi Don,
    I finished filing a UPS claim for this support case and we will get a response from them early next week. I know it's a hard situation to be without a laptop, but we are doing everything we can to resolve this situation in the most affordable and positive way possible. As far as escalating this support case to a manager, I can assure that the operations manager is heavily involved in this case as well as me. We are trying to work with you to resolve this and I apologize that it's taking a little longer now that we are involving UPS. We will contact you as soon as an update is available, but feel free to message us in the mean time. I will do everything I can to assist! Try to have a good weekend!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Thanks for sharing your story. Didn't really consider buying anything from System76 in the near-future but this is decent information to know.

Totally unrelated, but I'm having a pretty bad RMA process with ASRock so far. Basically, I sent them a motherboard on the agreement it would be replaced with a different model, they drop all email contact, send me a different but same model motherboard, and when I called them, their tech had the nerve to tell me "I just wanted a free motherboard"...

I do wish you luck though!

Beans

A true customer-care company would send a working replacement laptop while trying to resolve this issue. This is not by any means the only instance of lousy service reported by a computer professional. I've been using for 6 years a ZaReason computer, with no problem, and helpful service for the few issues that were my fault. When it's time to upgrade, I'm going back to them.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast