Thread: How to Setup Multiple FTP users with different paths

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

How to Setup Multiple FTP users with different paths

Hello Everyone,
    I have a webserver that I hosts a couple websites off of for friends with small businesses. I was wanting to setup a FTP client on their end with their own log in info so they could upload their updated website files as they needed instead of having to wait on me to upload them for them. How can I set this up so they can remotely FTP files to their OWN folders? I would like it so once they log in they can only see their one "/var/www/domain.com/public_html" folder instead of them being able to see all the different domain folders on the server to simply eliminate the possibility of them uploading files to the wrong folder. If someone has a tutorial that I could run with that would be awesome!

Thank you!

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: How to Setup Multiple FTP users with different paths

Quick and dirty:

1. Create a folder for each, example: folder1 and folder2.
    Code:
    sudo mkdir -p /path/to/folder1
    sudo mkdir -p /path/to/folder2
    2. Create a user for each, example user1 and user2, and assign the folders for them.
    Code:
    sudo useradd -d /path/to/folder1 user1
    sudo useradd -d /path/to/folder2 user2
    3. Set password for each.
    Code:
    sudo passwd user1
    sudo passwd user2
    4. Change the ownership and permissions for their assigned folder so that only them read and write to it.
    Code:
    sudo chown user1:user1 /path/to/folder1
    sudo chmod 700 /path/to/folder1
    sudo chown user2:user2 /path/to/folder1
    sudo chmod 700 /path/to/folder2
    Now try using Filezilla to connect to the server and see if each user goes to their own directories.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by TFroehlich3 View Post
    Hello Everyone,
    I have a webserver that I hosts a couple websites off of for friends with small businesses. I was wanting to setup a FTP client on their end with their own log in info so they could upload their updated website files as they needed instead of having to wait on me to upload them for them. How can I set this up so they can remotely FTP files to their OWN folders? I would like it so once they log in they can only see their one "/var/www/domain.com/public_html" folder instead of them being able to see all the different domain folders on the server to simply eliminate the possibility of them uploading files to the wrong folder. If someone has a tutorial that I could run with that would be awesome!

Thank you!
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install pure-ftpd
    cd /etc/pure-ftpd
    sudo ln -s /etc/pure-ftpd/conf/PureDB /etc/pure-ftpd/auth/10puredb
    sudo rm /etc/pure-ftpd/auth/70pam
    Now, add one user.
    Code:
    sudo pure-pw useradd usernamehere -u useruidhere -g usergidhere -d /path/to/folder
    sudo pure-pw mkdb
    sudo service pure-ftpd restart
    Now, you can add the rest of the users
    Code:
    sudo pure-pw useradd usernamehere -u useruidhere -g usergidhere -d /path/to/folder
    Run
    Code:
    sudo pure-pw mkdb
    When your done adding the users and pure-ftpd should instantly accept the new users

Make sure that the uid/gid set in pure-pw for the username can access the folder.
    Don't waste your energy trying to change opinions ... Do your thing, and don't care if they like it.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by nerdtron View Post
    Code:
    sudo chown user1:user1 /path/to/folder1
    sudo chmod 700 /path/to/folder1
    sudo chown user2:user2 /path/to/folder1
    sudo chmod 700 /path/to/folder2
    Now try using Filezilla to connect to the server and see if each user goes to their own directories.
    The webserver would then have issues accessing the files.
    Don't waste your energy trying to change opinions ... Do your thing, and don't care if they like it.