Thread: video converting

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

video converting

Brothers and Sisters,

I know little to nothing about video files. If you know of any teaching websites please list.

I have several video files on the hard drive that I`m trying to put on DVD-Rs.

The files are marked...... hdtv.x264-immerse.mkv. .......hdtv.x264-orenji.mkv ........hdtv.x264-ctu.mkv.

My DVD player plays mpeg files.

I have installed gstreamer extras and I have WinFF, VLC, and Handbreak.

How do I get these files on DVDs?
    Thanks
    Stan
    "If it ain't broke don't fix it"

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: video converting

Thread moved to Multimedia and Video
    Splat Double Splat Triple Splat
    Earn Your Keep
    Don't mind me, I'm only passing through.
    Once in a blue moon, I'm actually helpful

squakie is offline I Ubuntu, Therefore, I Am
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Haven't used it in a while, but try OpenShot. If you don't have the package manager installed, do this:

sudo apt-get install synaptic <press enter>

Enter your normal userid and password - nothing is echoed as you enter your password - and press enter after each.

Now, with the package manager installed, you can now find Synaptic Package Manager in the menus - open it.

Try adding one of your files, then set the output file type to what you want and see if it converts it for you.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 15.10 Wily Werewolf

I'm not a video expert but VLC will convert to MP4. Go File>Convert and choose an input file and a destination file (make a new name like test01.mp4).
    Click on the Covertn/Save button and then choose the Profile that ends with (MP4).
    It might work but it's best to check with a DVD before you convert them all.
    Handbrake will probably do similar but it is too complicated for me to explain and I have not used it for a while.
    WinFF is fairly easy so give that a try as well.

Edit: I just looked at the Arista Transcoder web-site and the pre-set they show for DVDs is either DivX or MPEG2.
    So maybe my advice above is no use
    Have a look here: http://transcoder.org/presets/index.html
    Last edited by coldraven; July 5th, 2014 at 12:18 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Many DVD players can handle DivX and its open cousin XviD. I've played XviD-encoded files in the AVI container on such a DVD player.

MPEG2 is the standard used on DVDs.

OP, one other program you might try is DeVeDe which can create a standard DVD from video files. I haven't tried it for a while and had mixed success with it in the past, but it's free and in the Ubuntu repositories. I've also used a commercial program for Windows called Convert X to DVD. It's very easy to use and handles all sorts of input files. As a test I converted an H.264 720p video with AAC audio and subtitles to the DVD format.
    If you ask for help, do not abandon your request. Please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

DVD players handles MPEG2/VOB files. The fiels you have are likely h.264/MKV and will need to be transcoded AND likely resolution changed to 480p (max of DVD). Further, real DVDs have a specific directory and filename layout.
    This will be a 2-stage effort. Transcode, author.

ffmpeg can transcode and fix the resolution to the correct type necessary for a DVD. I haven't authored a DVD since around 2002, but there are many tools that do it when the correct input video files are provided. Search for those in synaptic. Something like:
    $ ffmpeg -i myfile.avi -target dvd /tmp/vcd.mpg
    The man page has more examples.

Oh - if ffmpeg isn't in the repos, use avconv. Both are related (borhters) and have a DVD setting for the transcoding necessary.

BTW - google found this: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/DVDAuthoring which is where I'd start.

Plus the captions/subtitles in an MKV container can be many different formats, while DVD subtitles are limited.

Going to DVD might be good for childrens films, but I've found that having a media player device with a USB HDD is much easier. Going to DVD is expanding the storage needed 4x. With xvid/avi, h.264/mkv encoding, it is possible to have 4 movies per DVD. mpeg2 is much less efficient with storage. I'd keep the mkv files and spend $50 on a player, if this were my issue.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by TheFu View Post
    Further, real DVDs have a specific directory and filename layout.
    This will be a 2-stage effort. Transcode, author.
    DeVeDe and Convert X both do that.

I'd keep the mkv files and spend $50 on a player, if this were my issue.
    I just play them over the network from my NFS server on my Linux client connected to the TV with HDMI. These days I mostly use DVDs to burn Linux distributions!
    If you ask for help, do not abandon your request. Please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users