Thread: Help CLI Syntax Remove Wallpaper(s)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Arrow Help CLI Syntax Remove Wallpaper(s)

I'm doing a config after fresh install of Xubuntu 14.04. My wallpapers are not sticking after reboot, so I want to remove some of the default wallpapers and add some of my own. I'm hoping that a direct path will solve the problem rather than using my own folder.

If I cd to:
    Code:
     /usr/share/xfce4/backdrops$
    and I want to remove balance.jpg (as an example) and I do this:

Code:
      sudo apt-get remove balance.jpg
    I get:

Code:
     E: Unable to locate package balance.jpg
    E: Couldn't find any package by regex 'balance.jpg'
    lucas@lucas-Inspiron-1011:/usr/share/xfce4/backdrops$
    How can I do this? And also, how do I use CLI to put in my own wallpapers to backdrops?
    Aller Anfang ist schwer.

ASUS PRIME Z690-A; 12th Gen Intel i3-12100 4100 MHz; RAM DDR5 4800 MHz; NVME Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 2 TB

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie Development Release

Re: Help CLI Syntax Remove Wallpaper(s)

The wallpaper is part of a package so that is why it can't be removed with apt-get without removing the entire package. To remove individual backgrounds you could open Thunar as root and remove them manually from the usr/share folder.

In Ubuntu,in order to add wallpaper to the usr/share folder they have to be added to the .xml file in the usr/share/backgrounds folder and I don't know if that would be applicable in Xubuntu or not.
    Last edited by Frogs Hair; July 4th, 2014 at 11:11 PM.
    "Our intention creates our reality. "

Ubuntu Documentation Search: Popular Pages
    Ubuntu: Security Basics
    Ubuntu: Flavors

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Arrow Re: Help CLI Syntax Remove Wallpaper(s)

Wow! As always, I learn a lot whenever I come to the Ubuntu Forums.
    From your reply, I didn't even know what Thunar was, so I googled that. Ah, that is the name of my file manager (for Xcfe). And then I wondered, what does it mean to open Thunar as root so I tried
    Code:
     sudo thunar
    and there was my Thunar GUI with two warnings and root privileges. Now, not only did I take out all my unwanted default backgrounds but my personal .jpg's and .png's pasted right in, I set different wallpaper for each workspace (from Desktop Settings), Other . . . and all my wallpapers stuck after reboot. Problem solved. (There was no .xml file)

It appears that when you open Thunar as GUI non-root, that the Linux file system portion is "read only" and that even if you use sudo as in sudo apt-get that you do not have permission to write so that sudo fails. Is that the right way to look at it?
    Aller Anfang ist schwer.

ASUS PRIME Z690-A; 12th Gen Intel i3-12100 4100 MHz; RAM DDR5 4800 MHz; NVME Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 2 TB

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie Development Release

Re: Help CLI Syntax Remove Wallpaper(s)

One reason the root file system requires elevated permissions is to protect files vital to the operating system from unwanted tampering intended or otherwise.
    "Our intention creates our reality. "

Ubuntu Documentation Search: Popular Pages
    Ubuntu: Security Basics
    Ubuntu: Flavors