Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Linux Journal is an "extremist forum"

Re: Linux Journal is an "extremist forum"

The thing is it doesn't have to be anything illegal.
    Last edited by John_Patrick_Mason; July 5th, 2014 at 04:17 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

What governments should and should not do is a political question and not for this forum.

What rights one has varies from locality to locality and is not for this forum.

So what can we say?

1. Anonymity on the web is illusory.

2. From the privacy of your own home it can be difficult to remember that the internet has been and always will be a fishbowl. A brightly colored fish will get noticed.

3. It takes from 3 to 5 human intelligence analysts to follow the activities of any one person. Intelligence agencies spend a lot of time figuring out who not to bother watching. Most of us end up in that file cabinet.

4. Intelligence analysts and law enforcement agents know that even though criminals may frequent a pub, not everyone who frequents that pub is in any way interesting to them. It is almost a certainty that you have gone somewhere in public under the watchful eyes of normal law enforcement and have been noted and then ignored. It is a near certainty that you have not been labeled as a ne'er-do-well.

The fact is that for any of us to make any assumption that intelligence agencies are interested in anything more about us mice other than to shoo us out of the way to get at the rats is a bit narcissistic and self-aggrandizing. Perhaps every one of us has a record with the intelligence agencies of a dozen countries. But virtually every one of our files is stamped "BORING -- DON'T BOTHER!" with bright red ink.

Is it OK for them to do it? Discuss that on another forum. Don't do it here.

Your rights? Discuss that on another forum. Don't do it here.

Anonymity? Dream on.

It is more important to be careful of the eyes and ears of criminals -- which is where you should concentrate your internet security efforts.
    Please read The Forum Rules and The Forum Posting Guidelines
    My Blog
    A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by QIII View Post
    It is more important to be careful of the eyes and ears of criminals -- which is where you should concentrate your internet security efforts.
    ^ though do you really trust the NSA's to keep your data safe from attackers/abusers? I don't mean just external network attacks who (that you can trust) is to say someone other than Mr. Snowden extracted/extracting data from the system and did/has not go public with it.
    Laptop: ASUS A54C-NB91 (Storage: WD3200BEKT + MKNSSDCR60GB-DX); Desktop: Custom Build - Images included; rPi Server
    Putting your Networked Printer's scanner software to shame PHP Scanner Server
    I frequently edit my post when I have the last post

I don't want this conversation to delve into politics either; it doesn't have to. I just find it upsetting that people like me could be targeted for spying just because I typed the name of one of the software recommended in Linux Journal into a search engine. I hope you understand.
    Last edited by John_Patrick_Mason; July 5th, 2014 at 06:25 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

If you are worried about being targeted, the first thing you should do is stop discussing these things on a public forum. It's drawing attention to you and you don't know who might be quietly watching.

No different from not discussing certain things in a pub where, likewise, one of those eavesdroppers might be someone...

who you'd prefer didn't know about your topic of conversation.
    Please, people, remember to BACKUP before you install that new system. Same if you're upgrading.

Ubuntu membership via Forums contributions

Beans

Anyhoo, it's a trivial thing to just turn on my VPN with the click of a button and use a few extensions to keep the bad guys away and just generally be careful online. I don't think there's a whole lot left to say, really. I just like having layers of security to reduce my surface a little.

By the way; I hope my fellow Americans are having a fun 4th and I hope everyone else has a good weekend.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by QIII View Post
    What governments should and should not do is a political question and not for this forum.
    This is a sad statement but one that is highly practical, I suppose. The problem here, I think, is not the sane, reasonable discussion of politics (which is required in a free and democratic society) but rather what now immediately seems to become of any political discussion - the accelerating descent into a hysterical maelstrom of invective in which rigid, right and left leaning, dogmatic tropes of prepackaged received-sentiment (as opposed to ideas/opinions that one has thought out for one's self) are hurled about like clouds of ninja stars in a Bruce Lee movie on fast forward - the same maestrom which increasingly has the political processes of Canada (to a lesser degree) and the US (to a larger degree) stalemated.

Seldom are politics, religion and sex/sexuality safe topics for polite conversation.

Sadly, politeness and civilty are neglected virtues today.

"As for politics," he said in a mildly cheeky manner while at the same time treading cautiously, "FOSS, in and of itself, is highly political."
    Last edited by lah-ca; July 10th, 2014 at 04:09 PM. Reason: phat thums and heste ;^P

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by lah-ca View Post

"As for politics," he said in a mildly cheeky manner while at the same time treading cautiously, "FOS, in and of itself, his highly political."
    Yes, and let's keep this thread about the politics of FOSS and open-source. As with other recent threads, this one is teetering. Just a reminder, from the forum's Code of Conduct:

Politics: This topic has caused serious problems in the past, and as such is subject to tight control. Discussion of the politics of open source is permissible within the Ubuntu/Linux and Other OS forum, no other political posting is permitted in any form in any other area of the forum.

Religion: This is a forbidden topic forum wide. Please find another venue to exercise your freedom of speech on this topic.
    In accordance with this:

Thread moved to Ubuntu, Linux and OS Chat.

The forum guidelines are clear. Let's keep it about the politics of open-source. Thanks.
    Last edited by Bucky Ball; July 10th, 2014 at 03:25 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Greetings,
    The significant thing about this thread is that I have now found myself another really great Linux website. Couldn't wait to subscribe for full access. Also, I have already downloaded and installed to usb the Tails/Tor Disk with the instructions on their site. Good thread, Thanks.
    rrnbtter
    Life is good! Live it to the Ubuntu-ist!
    (With Proposed enabled!)

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234