Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu on USB stick not booting properly

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Ubuntu on USB stick not booting properly

If the computer does not 'want to' boot from the USB stick directly, you have to go back to booting from the internal drive, either with chainloading or simply using sudo update-grub and get the USB stick as one of the options in the grub menu.

If you still have problems, maybe you have better luck with another stick. See these links with tips to help booting

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/In...n/FromUSBStick

Howto help USB boot drives

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome 16.04 Xenial Xerus

It's surprising that the MSI GE60 BIOS cannot boot a CORSAIR Flash Voyager with Ubuntu on it, but there must be some kind of incompatibility in the interface between both devices.

However, the "error: failure reading sector" messages have disappeared in the process.
    Again, sudodus, thank you for your help.

Beans
    Hidden!

You are welcome

Beans
    Distro

Unfortunately, the "error: failure reading sector" messages have reappeared when trying to boot from the USB stick.
    What have changed?

I have (cold) booted once on sda without the USB stick inserted in the laptop!

This seems to be an issue within grub which is somehow disturbed when one of the device listed in the grub menu is not present at boot time, even though we don't try to boot on it.

Beans
    Hidden!

Grub should not be changed, nothing of Ubuntu should be changed at the early boot stages. I think it could be something within the UEFI/BIOS system, maybe some uninitialized variable. But I think UEFI can do things with the files in the EFI partition.

Is chainloading from the internal drive working? In that case is it something that you can accept?

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by sudodus View Post
    Grub should not be changed, nothing of Ubuntu should be changed at the early boot stages. I think it could be something within the UEFI/BIOS system, maybe some uninitialized variable. But I think UEFI can do things with the files in the EFI partition.
    Interesting point and it's quite a surprise to me.

Quote Originally Posted by sudodus View Post
    Is chainloading from the internal drive working? In that case is it something that you can accept?
    I haven't implemented chainloading; maybe I should, but if the UEFI/BIOS system modifies some of the boot process, and this particular USB stick cannot boot on its own, where's the point?

Beans
    Hidden!

If chainloading works and is stable, it would help you in this computer. The USB stick might continue to boot in other computers, even if this particular computer has problems booting from it.

Beans
    Distro

Actually, it does not boot either on another system; the first one is MSI and the second one is ACER.

I would like first to pin this issue before updating my BIOS and doing some chainloading: have you ever found yourself in the same situation, i.e having to boot without one of the device listed in the grub menu present on your ubuntu 14.04 system?

Beans
    Hidden!

I have had many issues with booting during my years with computers. Maybe not exactly your problem, but some were similar

- Can you try to install and boot a simple Ubuntu flavour based system (using the same USB stick and overwriting the current system)?

- Please help me remember: I understand you had a GPT file system on the stick. Is it still a GPT system? And are you running the computer in UEFI mode?

If you say 'yes' to these questions, please try the system described in the following link

Portable installed system booting from UEFI & BIOS

-o-

Otherwise, please describe in detail you current system(s). With a good description several people helping at the Ubuntu Forums can chip in an give useful advice.

- the computer hardware (at least)

- Brand name and model

- CPU
    - RAM (size)
    - graphics chip/card
    - wifi chip/card

- the installed system in the computer

- Describe the system with your own words and
    - get Boot-Repair, create a BootInfo summary and upload the result. See this link

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Boot-Repair

- the system in the USB stick

- Describe the system with your own words and if possible have the USB stick connected when you create the BootInfo summary

Beans

I also think your problem is related to uefi or fastboot or one of the other settings but that's an opinion from what I have read as I don't have it on any computers.

This seems to be an issue within grub which is somehow disturbed when one of the device listed in the grub menu is not present at boot time, even though we don't try to bo
    No. Not at all. I have an external drive which I sometimes have attached and sometimes not. It has 3-5 operating systems on it and entries in the grub menu of the internal hard drive and I have never experienced any problem with it. The chainloader suggestion might be a simple solution. I've used that with Grub to install various distributions to test on the same partition and don't have to create an entry in grub.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast