Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: MD5Sum checking "Open new Terminal..."

Beans

Smile MD5Sum checking "Open new Terminal..."

OK So I wanted to update my emergency disc which was version 9. So I'm ready to create a new disc and the instructions tell me to check it and say "Open terminal...:" and the rest is all a foreign language to me because i have no idea what terminal. The person who wrote that up assumed I knew things maybe they don't realise they know and do unconsciously now.

Can someone tell me key stroke by keystroke, mouse click by mouse click how to do the md5sum and that other check to be sure my download is 100% good?
    Thank You
    IFA

PS
    Sigining up was extremely frustrating I spent an hour trying to get onto the forum and only when i just logged out and closed all windows then tried to get on again was I able to. I know the community is big but that seems a bit ridiculous.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: MD5Sum checking "Open new Terminal..."

Galiza Nação!

Beans

Thank You Vladlenin5000, But that is the page I am referring to when I say the person who wrote it assumed I knew things they did not realise they had internalised. I stillneed actual instructions for click by click how to do it. This site is a huge pain to get logged into. It took 5 minutes of logging in and out and closing windows to finally get logged in. EDIT I figured out I need to unblock yahooapis and ubuntu scripts when I log in. One problem solved.
    Last edited by iforgetagain; June 29th, 2014 at 03:14 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

iforgetagain; Hi !

I try, and see if I can help. In small baby steps as it were.

1). where is the .iso file downloaded to ?
    check:
    Code:
    ls -la Downloads
    Once the location is verified we can then direct 'md5sum' to do the calculation:
    With a result something like " 2ceb4a82-1959-42a2-94b8-b7364328d7fa "

OK, then we go to the site where you downloaded the .iso file and see what they say should be the 'md5sum' check value and compare the two. They should be identical.

So far so good ?
    THE current(cy) in Documentation:
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/PopularPages

Happy ubuntu'n !

Beans

Thank You Bashing-Om. I have no idea what to do with that code. I have tried using a cmd window and the page linked with no success. I am using a Vista HP operating system Windows computer to create this Ubuntu live disc 14.04 I am not unfamiliar with computers what loses me is "open a terminal..." If I knew what the heck that was I might be able to figure it out, otherwise what you have posted is also foreign to me. To answer your question I downloaded it to the desktop as that is easiest to burn it to disc.
    Last edited by iforgetagain; June 29th, 2014 at 12:39 AM. Reason: add info

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by iforgetagain View Post
    I am not unfamiliar with computers what loses me is "open a terminal..."
    Hopefully this link will help you get started: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UsingTheTerminal
    Forum DOs and DON'Ts
    Please use CODE tags
    Including your email address in a post is not recommended
    My Blog

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by iforgetagain View Post
    I have tried using a cmd window and the page linked with no success. I am using a Vista HP operating system Windows computer to create this Ubuntu live disc 14.04
    You could/should have said that from the start
    And doing a simple Google search with "MD5Sum windows" would get you there instantly. Here's the official Microsoft document about it: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/889768/en (yes, you have to use the terminal as well ). There are also many graphical (and free) apps to do just that.
    Galiza Nação!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

I found this video which might help, the utility AcetoneISO is in the Software Centre.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5mwDjQUOEBY

Beans

RE: MD5Sum checking "Open new Terminal..."

OK. Now it makes more sense that I could not figure it out. Thank You Lisati.
    The next step for me then is to ask; Can I check the download's md5sum and that other check of sh something from my Vista based system?

EDIT saw the new posts after posting. Thanks all I will check the links.

Well I am even more lost.
    What is the 1st thing I need to do, to do the md5sum and sha1 check on the downloaded Ubuntu8 14.04 on my desktop?

Well I am even more lost. I tired to watch that vid but the curser was extremely distracting I couldn't follow him.

What is the 1st thing I need to do, to do the md5sum and sha1 check on the downloaded Ubuntu8 14.04 on my desktop?
    Last edited by howefield; June 29th, 2014 at 03:33 PM.

Beans
    Distro

OK, let's get to the bottom of this...
    Chances are you don't need it anyway. Do you at least understand what it is for? It's only to check if your downloaded file isn't corrupt and nowadays that rarely happens. Plus, whenever you need to be certain it doesn't you can check it immediately after the download has finished from within many download managers already available for Windows and others. One that immediately comes to mind is the Firefox DownThemAll add-on. With that one you can copy/paste the hash into the proper field and DTA! will check it for you.
    Now, you already have the file you want to check, I suppose, therefore there's no point in downloading it again this time with DTA! So... Post#7 again... What exactly you don't understand from the Microsoft support page I linked?
    Galiza Nação!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast