Thread: The case to make the Launch bar customizable in Trusty's Unity desktop

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Unhappy The case to make the Launch bar customizable in Trusty's Unity desktop

[I have mentioned this several times elsewhere.
    This is not a request for help.
    I just want to draw attention to something that's aberrant for me.

The Unity launch bar can only open on the left edge of the main display
    Why is it that Canonical should give no more flexibility than the option to open it on the left screen edge ?
    Why do I gripe about that ?
    - I have two screens,; the additional external display must be placed left of my Laptop (no choice there), so the Launch Bar actually open to the left of my left screen far from my field of vision. So I spend 80% of my working time with my head turned to the far left.

Why in the world is the Launch bar not customizable to the mere extent of being on any 3 or 4 sides of any screen ?
    I would like to be able to have it on the right edge or bottom edge of the screen in front of me, not to the extreme left of the umpteenth monitor on the left.

I am no dev, but this does not seem overly complex to implement.
    A question of priorities for the Ubuntu dev-teams, maybe ?
    --
    Lx Ubuntu 14.04 (LTS) Desktop Ed. on HP 8510w
    Intel T9300 Duo Core 2.5GHz - 4GB RAM - 64 bits

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: The case to make the Launch bar customizable in Trusty's Unity desktop

Well, like you yourself, we are only normal users who are not Ubuntu dev's or in anyway in contact with them. You're definitely not the first person to mention that left side Unity problem and probably wont be last. But there is really no answer to it atm other than looking at alternative DE's.
    Please mark the thread as ''solved'' if your query has been resolved.
    How to: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UnansweredPo.../SolvedThreads

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I am definitely looking at alternatives.
    It is silly though, I mean, to make this aspect of gui design official policy as from Ubuntu 12.04 or so. This may be a case of the lesser of two evils, but out of sheer curiosity, I 'd be curious to know what weighed in the balance on the other side. This actually is enough to drive people away from any distro. Inflexibility is not always good.
    @ Canonical: "Be water my friend, be water !"

--
    Lx Ubuntu 14.04 (LTS) Desktop Ed. on HP 8510w
    Intel T9300 Duo Core 2.5GHz - 4GB RAM - 64 bits

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Moved to recurring discussions.

Use a dock like cairo maybe.

[edit] indeed cairo-dock now has it's own session you can choose at login. Simples.
    Last edited by philinux; June 27th, 2014 at 02:39 PM.

Beans

I am brand new to Ubuntu and I was recently given a Dell Inspirion, with a very old version of Ubunto, amd it has wine ext. I am currently learning how to use this is done I did not get instructions however I see they are on the computer however I recently just got another computer that is a Linux Ubuntu Lubuntu Think Lad. It has the most current upgraded system. I was actually quite lucky to have found it on the curb when the owner threw it away. However I am almost positive, because he didn't do a great job deleating all his files that it was used at our local Ibm head quarters, because of all the limited access and some of the documents he left on there. Of course he didnt remove admin pass, so me thinking I am basically becoming like a computer programer between the 2 finally got into that,but not without a lot of other consequences and stresses includinghi created a password because I thought I was changing a password for the admin. so okay no big deal I'll deal with that later I see a ton of forums on how to deal with it but everytime I go to a forum and see what people suggest to write in BiOS and tell me what lines to look for that begain with these letters or at Kernal, I of course have nonething in BIOS like that... However, at a certain point I was able to just get on my network with a Ethernet, which I. Love the new system and am seriously wanting to become a programmer (at 37) and quit my present carrer as a hair dresser... Thanks to all Of you at Ubunto. Now the most current problem I am having is I have lost my Toolbar! Literally. I have no power off or switch user nada all white, lost wifi amd to top it off eathernet will not work. forgive me for not giving you all the kids or I have been up for 48 hours so intrigued by this and determined to get it running because I need it! The Dell I have doesnt even support Google. And after weeks on that I have found out Ihave to do manual cd upgrades 1 at a time! Well unless anyone can help with that. Its a 3. Sething I believe with Ubunto.
    Any how I did stupidly I admit, added a program that was recommended for I think Html, for printing and have friend it can cause the tool bar to go way I'm kinda nervous to uninstall even though I don't need it now. but as well I'm getting a warning from Linux but I don't know if that's from this program I went into the settings and I changed the authorities to accept basically anything and everything to try to disk and basically any restrictions I saw from previous owners name.
    I have sent the Ububto reports but havent heard back yet. Please anyone belp me restore it! yeah remember on both computers I do not have any kind of files that I wish to see only be you been to operating system but everytime I look up how to do a hard reset I can't find anything that seems to work with my computers. I have tried recovery and going in the root for previous problems, like admi pass. even need it writeable on my own because I couldn't do that in BIOS the way everyone explained. But when in route it does not say you bunches too at route it says previous owners username at root. So nothing worked and no worries I didn't hit save. It would always say command not found. first question I have is I cannot find it anywhere maybe I'm too lazy to read the whole handbook what all the F 1 F to function keys mean on this computer is completely different than a Mac or a PC if anybody could help me out with that too. but my biggest thing is I cannot get on wifi even with a Ethernet, I can get into the archive manager and I can add very genneric toolbar settings, like battery display, wifi display (only) it just says even with wifi pass and admin Im not autherized. And when I did get into the hptml I was prompted to run in Chrome for help and that came up and said i wa signed in, but the graphics were so distorted I could barely read anything and mind you instead of a curser I have a huge x because when I log on the first thing it says is no system tray detected on the system unable to start ,exiting I looked that up and most of everything I saw was the HTML butts I did see a few other things in because I keep getting a you punch you error reports I'm not quite sure what's going on... please remember her I am really knew it this I could barely running just a normal pc yet alone a mac until recently... but never to try write commands. I have not seen any option any where for hard reset, not in Grub, or Bios if they are the same? And not in recovery mode. I am sorry this is so long I am trying to be as detailed as I can but I don't even remember where I went to get the error codes that I got before or how to figure out what your my computer is lotto or anything it does have Windows XP on it but I do not how to put know how to pull that up..
    Sincerely Greatful to the Ubuntu comunity for all the amazing advice and care galaxy when you guys post on the forums I will be sure when I become a programmer I would do the same to help someone that like me as well thank youit is truly appreciated!
    Sincely helpless,

Beans

I am doing this from my phone and I just look at how long that looks I don't think many people are going to read it so a brief version
    Ibm lenovo Lubunto Think Pad, I believe its the Html i installed that I didn't realize I even did, I get error at start up. No System tray detected on this sysrem, unable to start,exiting. but it never exits it just gives me a huge ex as a cursor and I have no toolbar/ panel...I can get very basic tools by left click to add,
    spacer CPUF frontend volume control manage networks Network Status Monitor battery monitor temperature control volume control keyboard layout handler manage network Network Status Monitortaskbar Window Live directory menu minimize all windows digital clock applicatin Launch Bar,separator ect... exceptI no longer get wifi it says I'm not authorized and I no longer get s internet with Ethernet! please help.
    Quote Originally Posted by rachelmk77 View Post
    I am brand new to Ubuntu and I was recently given a Dell Inspirion, with a very old version of Ubunto, amd it has wine ext. I am currently learning how to use this is done I did not get instructions however I see they are on the computer however I recently just got another computer that is a Linux Ubuntu Lubuntu Think Lad. It has the most current upgraded system. I was actually quite lucky to have found it on the curb when the owner threw it away. However I am almost positive, because he didn't do a great job deleating all his files that it was used at our local Ibm head quarters, because of all the limited access and some of the documents he left on there. Of course he didnt remove admin pass, so me thinking I am basically becoming like a computer programer between the 2 finally got into that,but not without a lot of other consequences and stresses includinghi created a password because I thought I was changing a password for the admin. so okay no big deal I'll deal with that later I see a ton of forums on how to deal with it but everytime I go to a forum and see what people suggest to write in BiOS and tell me what lines to look for that begain with these letters or at Kernal, I of course have nonething in BIOS like that... However, at a certain point I was able to just get on my network with a Ethernet, which I. Love the new system and am seriously wanting to become a programmer (at 37) and quit my present carrer as a hair dresser... Thanks to all Of you at Ubunto. Now the most current problem I am having is I have lost my Toolbar! Literally. I have no power off or switch user nada all white, lost wifi amd to top it off eathernet will not work. forgive me for not giving you all the kids or I have been up for 48 hours so intrigued by this and determined to get it running because I need it! The Dell I have doesnt even support Google. And after weeks on that I have found out Ihave to do manual cd upgrades 1 at a time! Well unless anyone can help with that. Its a 3. Sething I believe with Ubunto.
    Any how I did stupidly I admit, added a program that was recommended for I think Html, for printing and have friend it can cause the tool bar to go way I'm kinda nervous to uninstall even though I don't need it now. but as well I'm getting a warning from Linux but I don't know if that's from this program I went into the settings and I changed the authorities to accept basically anything and everything to try to disk and basically any restrictions I saw from previous owners name.
    I have sent the Ububto reports but havent heard back yet. Please anyone belp me restore it! yeah remember on both computers I do not have any kind of files that I wish to see only be you been to operating system but everytime I look up how to do a hard reset I can't find anything that seems to work with my computers. I have tried recovery and going in the root for previous problems, like admi pass. even need it writeable on my own because I couldn't do that in BIOS the way everyone explained. But when in route it does not say you bunches too at route it says previous owners username at root. So nothing worked and no worries I didn't hit save. It would always say command not found. first question I have is I cannot find it anywhere maybe I'm too lazy to read the whole handbook what all the F 1 F to function keys mean on this computer is completely different than a Mac or a PC if anybody could help me out with that too. but my biggest thing is I cannot get on wifi even with a Ethernet, I can get into the archive manager and I can add very genneric toolbar settings, like battery display, wifi display (only) it just says even with wifi pass and admin Im not autherized. And when I did get into the hptml I was prompted to run in Chrome for help and that came up and said i wa signed in, but the graphics were so distorted I could barely read anything and mind you instead of a curser I have a huge x because when I log on the first thing it says is no system tray detected on the system unable to start ,exiting I looked that up and most of everything I saw was the HTML butts I did see a few other things in because I keep getting a you punch you error reports I'm not quite sure what's going on... please remember her I am really knew it this I could barely running just a normal pc yet alone a mac until recently... but never to try write commands. I have not seen any option any where for hard reset, not in Grub, or Bios if they are the same? And not in recovery mode. I am sorry this is so long I am trying to be as detailed as I can but I don't even remember where I went to get the error codes that I got before or how to figure out what your my computer is lotto or anything it does have Windows XP on it but I do not how to put know how to pull that up..
    Sincerely Greatful to the Ubuntu comunity for all the amazing advice and care galaxy when you guys post on the forums I will be sure when I become a programmer I would do the same to help someone that like me as well thank youit is truly appreciated!
    Sincely helpless,