Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Surface Pro 3 Support

Beans

Re: Surface Pro 3 Support

Here's the output:
    me@me-Surface-Pro-3:~$ dmesg | grep -i 045e
    [ 1.531060] usb 1-3: New USB device found, idVendor=045e, idProduct=07dc
    [ 1.539663] hid-generic 0003:045E:07DC.0001: input,hiddev0,hidraw0: USB HID v1.11 Keyboard [Microsoft Surface Type Cover] on usb-0000:00:14.0-3/input0
    [ 1.714748] usb 1-7: New USB device found, idVendor=045e, idProduct=07be
    [ 1.898833] usb 1-8: New USB device found, idVendor=045e, idProduct=07bf
    Also worth mentioning that while the trackpad does not work for moving the mouse around but I can manage to right click sometimes. Thanks again.

Beans

Do you dualboot?
    If so, have you tested whether it is the case that the trackpad doesn't work if you reboot from Windows into Ubuntu, but it works if you poweroff first and then directly boot into Ubuntu?

That's the case at least with the SFPro2. I have a small utility that is able to reset the trackpad from Linux and "fix it", which I'm willing to share it if this proves to be the problem.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by javispedro2 View Post
    Do you dualboot?
    If so, have you tested whether it is the case that the trackpad doesn't work if you reboot from Windows into Ubuntu, but it works if you poweroff first and then directly boot into Ubuntu?

That's the case at least with the SFPro2. I have a small utility that is able to reset the trackpad from Linux and "fix it", which I'm willing to share it if this proves to be the problem.
    Interesting! Unfortunately that's not the case, I just tested a cold boot into Ubuntu. I'd still be interested in the utility however, if you wouldn't mind sharing!

Beans

I came across this thread when trying to get Ubuntu working on my Surface Pro 3 as well. I would be happy to test out any newer kernels (or other utilities) as they are made.

I am testing the newest kernel in this thread right now, and it is working decently from a cold boot. It does not work well from a restart, and it works quite poorly when restarting from Windows. Oddly enough, the two other kernels I tested work best when restarted from Windows. Results are below. Let me know if you need any information or testing.

From COLD BOOT

Surface pro kernel:
    What works: Keyboard (great), wifi, touchpad clicks (left and right), pen (hovering and tapping), the second pen button, touchscreen (multitouch) [Pen and touch screen take quite a while to start up (close to a minute), but they do start.]
    What doesn't: Touchpad movement and scrolling, other pen buttons

Comparison to current kernel (3.13.0-30):
    What works: wifi
    What doesn't: touchpad, keyboard, pen, touchscreen

Comparison to old kernel (3.13.0-24):
    What works: wifi, touchscreen (multitouch), pen (hovering and tapping), the second pen button
    What doesn't: touchpad, keyboard, other pen buttons

From RESTART (Ubuntu)
    , differences from cold boot highlighted

Surface pro kernel:
    What works: Keyboard (great), wifi, touchpad clicks (left and right)
    What doesn't: Touchpad movement and scrolling, pen, touchscreen

What works: wifi
    What doesn't: touchpad, keyboard, pen, touchscreen

Comparison to old kernel (3.13.0-24):
    What works: wifi, touchscreen (multitouch), pen (hovering and tapping), the second pen button
    What doesn't: touchpad, keyboard, other pen buttons

Reboot from WINDOWS
    , differences from cold boot highlighted

Surface pro kernel:
    What works: Keyboard (great), wifi, touchpad taps (left and right)
    What doesn't: Touchpad movement and scrolling and clicks, pen, touchscreen

What works: wifi, touchpad, touchscreen (multitouch), pen (hovering and tapping), the second pen button
    What doesn't: keyboard, other pen buttons

Comparison to old kernel (3.13.0-24): [note that a bunch of errors are thrown at boot]
    What works: touchpad, wifi, touchscreen (multitouch), pen (hovering and tapping), the second pen button
    What doesn't: keyboard, other pen buttons

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by bowmessage View Post
    I'd still be interested in the utility however, if you wouldn't mind sharing!
    Here it is, but I'm not certain if it will work "as is" on the Surface 3. Since they removed Wacom, the HID reports may have changed, and in the current version I'm just hardcoding the report numbers from the Surface Pro 2.

In any case, it is probably not the same issue if touchpad works after a reboot from Windows.
    Last edited by javispedro2; July 5th, 2014 at 09:37 PM.

Beans

Hi,

I have been testing Ubuntu 14.10 (Utopic), Gnome edition, on my Surface Pro 3. I just want to report here that besides already reported issues, while using the live image I have a few other hardware issues:
    - Bluetooth is not detected at all
    - None of the webcams are detected
    - power consumption seems to be much higher than under windows

Correction:
    After several tests with powertop, the estimated battery life seems in line with the windows 8 to 9 hours of normal use.
    Last edited by ghaspias2; July 10th, 2014 at 03:13 AM.

Beans

Hi.

I run Arch and stumbled across this thread. I have the keyboard and mouse working together. It's kinda hacky, but it works.

For the kernel, I am using this:

Code:
    diff --git a/drivers/hid/hid-ids.h b/drivers/hid/hid-ids.h
    index 6d00bb9..2fd9d6d 100644
    --- a/drivers/hid/hid-ids.h
    +++ b/drivers/hid/hid-ids.h
    @@ -637,6 +637,7 @@
     #define USB_DEVICE_ID_MS_SURFACE_PRO_2   0x0799
     #define USB_DEVICE_ID_MS_TOUCH_COVER_2   0x07a7
     #define USB_DEVICE_ID_MS_TYPE_COVER_2    0x07a9
    +#define USB_DEVICE_ID_MS_TYPE_COVER_3    0x07dc

#define USB_VENDOR_ID_MOJO             0x8282
     #define USB_DEVICE_ID_RETRO_ADAPTER    0x3201
    diff --git a/drivers/hid/hid-microsoft.c b/drivers/hid/hid-microsoft.c
    index 8ba17a9..a932cbd 100644
    --- a/drivers/hid/hid-microsoft.c
    +++ b/drivers/hid/hid-microsoft.c
    @@ -274,6 +274,8 @@ static const struct hid_device_id ms_devices[] = {
                    .driver_data = MS_NOGET },
            { HID_USB_DEVICE(USB_VENDOR_ID_MICROSOFT, USB_DEVICE_ID_MS_COMFORT_MOUSE_4500)
                    .driver_data = MS_DUPLICATE_USAGES },
    +       { HID_USB_DEVICE(USB_VENDOR_ID_MICROSOFT, USB_DEVICE_ID_MS_TYPE_COVER_3),
    +                .driver_data = 0 },

{ HID_BLUETOOTH_DEVICE(USB_VENDOR_ID_MICROSOFT, USB_DEVICE_ID_MS_PRESENTER_8K_
                    .driver_data = MS_PRESENTER },

This is derived from https://bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=64811
    There is also https://github.com/torvalds/linux/co...e0459eae07396d, but I could only reproduce the quirk on the surface pro 3 once.

To get the keyboard and touchpad working together, you can hack your evdev config by specifying the vendor and use the option "IgnoreAbsoluteAxes" option.
    Code:
    Section "InputClass"
            Identifier "Surface Pro 3 cover"
            MatchIsPointer "on"
            MatchDevicePath "/dev/input/event*"
            Driver "evdev"
            Option "vendor" "045e"
            Option "product" "07dc"
            Option "IgnoreAbsoluteAxes" "True"
    EndSection
    Last edited by OG_KORYONE; July 13th, 2014 at 10:42 AM.

Beans

Patched kernel and uploading pre-built binaries right now, in case anyone is interested: https://github.com/rubiojr/surface3-kernel

Beans

Hello Alicia,

Thank you for all your effort on getting drivers function on the surface pro. I bought a SP3 a yesterday and tried installing Ubuntu 14.04. The type cover doesn't work as pointed out. I downloaded http://www.mediafire.com/download/ov...urfacepro3.tgz and installed all 4 packages. Unfortunately the keyboard doesn't work at all. Interestingly, the trackpad works sometimes and at other times it doesn't. Finally, after installing your packages, my wi-fi stopped working. Hence I ran the command to remove the previously installed packages. The wi-fi started working after that.

Beans

Just to add to my previous post:
    I just tested the pen pressure support and it works perfectly on MyPaint (using ubuntu gnome utopic alpha2 live image, cold boot on a surface pro 3).

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast