Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Change from ubuntu to Xubuntu.desktop hangs at bootup, stuck at splash screen

Beans

Change from ubuntu to Xubuntu.desktop hangs at bootup, stuck at splash screen

Hi All
    I have an old computer that was running Ubuntu Lts12.04 but I could not watch youtube vids as it was jurky.
    I tried installing xubuntu.desktop with 'sudo apt-get install xubuntu-desktop' and then rebooted.
    Now all I get is the xubuntu splash screen and it hangs there.
    Any suggestions really appriciated.
    Thanks

AMD Athlon XP 3000
    2 Gig Ram
    NVidia Geforce FX5200
    Last edited by Camy; June 21st, 2014 at 10:24 AM.

Beans

Re: Change from ubuntu to Xubuntu.desktop hangs at bootup, stuck at splash screen

If it were me I'd try uninstalling that and installing either lubuntu or plain lxde. When it is hung, I'd get a tty with cntrl-alt-F1 or some F-number up to 6, inclusive. If the first one you get doesn't have a login prompt, try a different function key (1-6) until you get one that does.
    It will look like a "terminal" without a window. Log in. Then:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get purge xubuntu-desktop
    sudo apt-get install lubuntu-desktop

and when it's finished:
    Code:
    sudo shutdown -r now
    When you login you can choose either you present bloated DE, Lubuntu, or LXDE.

Beans

Re: Change from ubuntu to Xubuntu.desktop hangs at bootup, stuck at splash screen

Thanks Dreamer. When I installed it I was expecting to have a choice while booting but it doesn't get that far. All I get after turning the computer on is the splash screen, no choices
    I tried Ctrl Alt F1 to 6 nothing happens. The only keys that worked were Ctrl+Alt+Del

Beans

Ok, I managed to get into the computer by pressing Ctrl Alt F1 just before the splash screen comes up and that way I can get a login.
    Then I did as you said
    sudo apt-get purge xubuntu-desktop
    sudo apt-get install lubuntu-desktop

Purge xubuntu only said it was going to remove 44K but it installed over 200Mb

Anyway now I still get the xubuntu splash screen and it still hangs

Beans

Also tried
    sudo apt-get install --reinstall ubuntu-desktop

still hangs on xubuntu screen

Beans

Also tried
    sudo apt-get install lubuntu-desktop lxde
    sudo dpkg-reconfigure lightdm

no change

Was getting an error with saned and edited the file
    /etc/default/saned ..... set the no to yes

tried startx from shell prompt and get
    cannot stat /etc/X11/X no such file or directory

Beans

Something has corrupted the boot software. The xubuntu desktop has nothing to do with choppy video playback, and merely using a different desktop environment is not the solution. I use Xubuntu 12.04 on an ancient, very underpowered computer and it runs wonderfully. Better on it, in fact, than Lubuntu for some reason I can't explain. But for videos you need to install the restricted-extras packages that are appropriate to your particular "flavor" of Ubuntu. xubuntu-restricted-extras for Xubuntu, ubuntu-restricted-extras for ubuntu, etc.

I can't tell you how to fix the boot-up issue (other than do a fresh install of Xubuntu if you want Xubuntu, Lubuntu if that's what you want, Ubu, Kubu, etc). But I can counter the above claim that Xfce or Xubuntu-desktop is "bloated" and that LXDE is superior for video playback. Neither is true.

Beans

I managed to solve the boot up hang by doing the following
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get upgrade
    sudo apt-get install --reinstall xserver-xorg
    BUT
    while booting and while shuting down I'm still getting the xubuntu splash screens
    Anyone know how to get rid of them?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Camy View Post
    while booting and while shuting down I'm still getting the xubuntu splash screens
    Anyone know how to get rid of them?
    Code:
    sudo update-alternatives --config default.plymouth
    Splat Double Splat Triple Splat
    Earn Your Keep
    Don't mind me, I'm only passing through.
    Once in a blue moon, I'm actually helpful

Beans

That did it, deadflowr
    Thanks to everybody.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast