Thread: Unity: keyboard shortcuts open new window in background

Beans

Unity: keyboard shortcuts open new window in background

Hi everybody,

When opening an application through a keyboard shortcut I defined (of the sort Ctrl+Alt+[some letter]), it often happens that the application is opened in a window that is kept in the background. The phenomenon happens every time with certain shortcuts (those pointing to thunderbird or firefox), never with others (custom shortcut for gnome-terminal in a specific folder), and "depends" with yet others (it seems that a shortcut to Gedit will pop up nicely in the foreground if gedit is closed, but otherwise will open a new document and keep the gedit window in the background ; that a shortcut to nautilus in a specific folder will open an "active" window if no other window was open, but will otherwise open a window in the background).

The phenomenon happens on two fresh installs of Ubuntu 14.04 LTS (a laptop and a desktop computers). It basically kills all the interest of defining efficient keyboard shortcuts. Does anyone know how to fix this?

Thanks.

Beans

Re: Unity: keyboard shortcuts open new window in background

I have the same problem.
    Either I use the calculator button on my keyboard or any other shortcut, the application opens behind all other opened windows, forcing me to switch to it.
    Since I have two displays, my workaround is to position my mouse on the other display an presse the shortcut, but I have to click the application to push it forward.
    It's quite annoying and defeats the purpose of using shortcuts.

Beans

$ccsm

Settings Manager > General > General Options > Focus and Raise Behaviour > Focus Prevention Level > OFF

For more details, please refer to:
    http://askubuntu.com/questions/16590...-in-background

Beans

Excelent!!! It worked like a charm!!
    And since I was there, I also disabled the "click to focus".
    I used to love the focus on mouse over and now I have it back!
    I didn't knew these options since I've never used them since Ubuntu 5.04
    Thank you very much!