Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Windows 7 won't boot via GRUB

Beans

Windows 7 won't boot via GRUB

Hey all!

I've come to the end of a long process of trying to fix my dual-boot setup. I've had a long hiatus while trying to complete my thesis (and not wanting to risk losing access to my (working) ubuntu install) but now I'm committed to getting this fixed.

I installed Ubuntu on a partition on my otherwise Windows 7 HDD. But I screwed up the install - I think I put GRUB on the Windows partition. The result: when I turned on my PC, GRUB booted. I could select Ubuntu and it'd boot. But if I selected Windows 7 it'd just show me the GRUB screen again.

I researched the problem and found that I'd need to repair my Windows boot loader. I used my Windows installation disk to do this. But oddly, the repair tool told me there were no problems. I did everything I could find to repair the boot loader. Still, the only effect that had was that when I turn on the computer, I'm shown nothing but a blinking cursor.

Now I've reinstalled GRUB. I can access Ubuntu again, but selecting Windows (which is now listed in Grub as VISTA!(?)) just leads me to a blinking cursor.

Here's the mystery. I think I did manage to re-install the boot-loader. I ran boot-repair from Ubuntu. Here's the paste URL: http://paste.ubuntu.com/7664721/. If you look under Windows, it does say that the Windows partition has a Windows boot file.

I've ran out of options - I don't know what else to try. So I'm submitting myself to your expertise. I'll do absolutely everything I'm told as quickly as possible. I really want this fixed - not because I love Windows (switching to Ubuntu has been amazing), but because I can only play the video games I want to play on my Windows partition. Having just finished my thesis, and with only a few days to spare, I'm really eager to get some gaming time in!

EDIT: Just installed and ran testdisk. It says that the boot files and backup boot files for the Windows partitions are 'OK'.
    Last edited by Matthew_Bird; June 18th, 2014 at 07:28 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Windows 7 won't boot via GRUB

You never install grub to a NTFS partition's boot sector. But yours now shows as correct and grub2's os-prober finds the Windows install, so no major issues.

I would run chkdsk and repeat the automatic Windows repairs 3 times. That will reinstall a Windows boot loader into the MBR, so you can directly boot Windows. If needed use f8 then to get into Windows repair console. Trying to get f8 to work when booting from grub menu is hit or miss as it is extremely quick Some have said it works if you hit keys almost at same time.
    You can use Boot-Repair to reinstall grub's boot loader after you fix Windows or manually reinstall it.

Usually better to have a separate Windows repair disk either CD or flash drive.

Grub really only boots working Windows, so you need to resolve Windows issues and that is usually best from Windows own repair console.
    For more info on UEFI boot install & repair - Regularly Updated :
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans

Thanks for your reply, Oldfred!

I loaded up the Windows 7 disk and ran CHKDSK. Here's a screenshot of the result, sorry it's poor quality!: http://i.imgur.com/M62Coz2.jpg

I then ran Windows automatic repair. I restarted and ran it again. I restarted and ran it again. On the third time it said there were no problems detected.

But I still get nothing but a blinking cursor when I choose Windows (which is incorrectly listed as Windows Vista) on the GRUB screen. Here's a screenshot, just in case that helps: http://i.imgur.com/dvyAPX9.jpg

Any idea what's going on? :O

Thanks again for your help!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I think you are supposed to run the repair three times while in it before rebooting.
    Sometimes you have to rerun chkdsk also.

I did not think there was a difference between the PBR or partition boot sector of Vista & 7. They both use bootmgr to boot. Windows XP does have a different PBR as it uses ntldr to boot and that info is in PBR.
    But this says there are differences:
    http://www.multibooters.co.uk/multiboot.html

Not even sure how grub knows the difference between Vista & 7 because it cannot parse the BCD, but that may be a clue to the issue? Are you using a Window 7 repair disk that is same 32 or 64 bit version?
    http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials...up-repair.html
    http://www.w7forums.com/startup-repair-t441.html
    http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tuto...torial148.html

Sometimes running command is better than auto fix.
    Above links summarized, see links if more detail desired
    You will need to boot with your Vista/Windows 7 installation disk or repair disk. Hit Enter at the language selection prompt then hit "R" to get to the repair section. You can then select the automatic boot repair tool, but it often will not do any good. Then select the command prompt (console) and type in the following commands:
    # is comment do not copy or type comments
    BootRec.exe /fixMBR #updates MBR master boot record do not run if you still want grub
    chkdsk C: /r #(have to run /r or /f as separate entries) rerun until no errors
    BootRec.exe /FixBoot #updates PBR partition boot sector or see bootsect.exe commands
    chkdsk c: /r
    BootRec.exe /ScanOs
    BootRec.exe /RebuildBcd

And perhaps to totally new boot sector with bootsect.exe?

How to use the Bootrec.exe tool in the Windows Recovery Environment to troubleshoot and repair startup issues in Windows
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927392
    http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials...ot-record.html
    Use bootsect.exe to repair XP & older or Vista/7 bootsectors - Use diskpart, then list volumes to see which drive to use
    bootsect.exe /nt52 c: *compatible* with operating systems older (XP) than Windows Vista.
    bootsect.exe /nt60 c: *compatible* with Windows Vista, Windows Server 2008 or later
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans

Thanks again!

(You can't run the automatic boot repair three times without restarting, since after running it prompts to restart)

I've been following your instructions. When I try 'BootRec.exe /ScanOs' it says:

'Successfully scanned Windows Installations.
    Total identified Windows installations: 0
    The operation completed successfully.'

I guess this is causing my problem? Despite the boot files being intact, it doesn't recognise my installation anymore?

EDIT: I googled the above message, and came across this page.
    http://pcsupport.about.com/od/fixtheproblem/ht/rebuild-bcd-store-windows.htm
    After following the instructions there, I got it to say that there was a Windows installation present.

But the computer still just boots to that blinking cursor... UGH!

EDIT 2: I just ran bootsect.exe to install a completely new boot sector and I still got the flashing cursor on restarting...

I've now tried the above. I don't think this problem is caused by my boot files not working.
    Last edited by Matthew_Bird; June 19th, 2014 at 02:48 AM.

Beans

I just went here: http://askubuntu.com/questions/14409...burg-was-tried

I did the following, and now I can boot to Windows! My only problem is that I have no idea how to make the changes I made permanent. Where is the file that one temporarily changes when one presses 'e' on the GRUB boot screen found, so I can edit it permanently?

1. Boot to the GRUB menu.
    2. Select the GRUB menu entry Windows 7 (loader) (on /dev/sda1)
    3. Press e to edit the entry's GRUB commands. You should see the commands below.
      insmod part_msdos
      insmod ntfs
      set root='(hd0,msdos1)'
      search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set=root 6060682360680260
      chainloader +1
    4. Edit the commands as shown below to use GRUB's ntldr instead of the chainloader command.Note: Changes made to the GRUB boot menu this way are not persistant. They apply only to the next boot. The grub.cfg is not changed.
      insmod part_msdos
      insmod ntfs
      insmod ntldr
      set root='(hd0,msdos1)'
      search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set=root 6060682360680260
      ntldr ($root)/bootmgr
      Two changes were made to the commands in (3) versus (4).
      The new command insmod ntldr was added.
      The command chainloader +1 was replaced with ntldr ($root)/bootmgr
    Last edited by Matthew_Bird; June 19th, 2014 at 02:59 AM.

Beans

Where is the file that one temporarily changes when one presses 'e' on the GRUB boot scree
    In the situation you are referring to, there is no file changed. What you want to do is put the entry in the file: /boot/grub/grub.cfg file or if you are using Ubuntu 13.03, /boot/grub/i386-pc/grub.cfg. You put a menuentry there. Sample windows menuentry below. You should use the parameters you used to boot it and will have to change the set root= line to your partition and the --set=root UUID number on the search line to your uuid for windows. Get it with sudo blkid.

menuentry "Windows 7 (loader) (on /dev/sda1)" --class windows --class os {
    insmod part_msdos
    insmod ntfs
    set root='(hd0,msdos1)'
    search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set=root A0A03A5CA03A395C
    chainloader +1
    }
    After putting your entry in grub.cfg, save the changes (need to use sudo to edit the file) and reboot. Do not update grub. If it boots with that entry, copy the windows menuentry entirely to the file: /etc/default/grub.d/40_custom, save the change and then run sudo update-grub.
    Last edited by yancek; July 17th, 2014 at 10:50 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

You do not edit grub.cfg. And update or change overwrites grub.cfg. You edit /etc/default/grub or add boot entries yourself into 40_custom.

But you can add your boot stanza to 40_custom and turn off os-prober as it does not really do much if you have manually added a boot stanza. If you add a new system, you can turn it back on later.

Copy the boot stanza from this:
    sudo cp -a /boot/grub/grub.cfg /boot/grub/grub.cfg.backup
    gedit /boot/grub/grub.cfg
    Copy entire boot stanza to and edit to have only entries you want:
    gksudo gedit /etc/grub.d/40_custom
    Then do:
    sudo update-grub

New entry will be at bottom of menu. You can change description if you want.

This stops adding the automatic entry which is not working anyway. Once you know your custom entry works then you can remove the default entry.
    In /etc/default/grub I added this:
    gksudo gedit /etc/default/grub
    GRUB_DISABLE_OS_PROBER=true
    or turn off executeable bit
    sudo chmod a-x /etc/grub.d/30_os-prober
    sudo update-grub

Beans

Thanks to both of you! I'll try this later tonight and report back.

Beans

Sorry I've been so immensely slow to reply! I've been able to access my Windows partition by editing the GRUB loader for Windows every time I want to boot Windows. This is slightly annoying, but it works, so I'm *very* hesitant to change things and potentially undermine this (albeit imperfect) workaround.

I want to follow your guide, Oldfred, but first I want to make sure I'm understanding everything correctly. Would you mind making sure I've understood? Sorry to be a pain!

Copy the boot stanza from this:
    Copy entire boot stanza to and edit to have only entries you want:
    gksudo gedit /etc/grub.d/40_custom
    Then do:
    sudo update-grub
    I enter this in my terminal:
    This will create a backup of my grub.cfg file, in case I mess up.

Then I enter this in my terminal:
    Which will open grub.cfg in gedit.
    I then copy all of the text here and close gedit.

I then run the following in my terminal:
    command:gksudo gedit /etc/grub.d/40_custom
    This will open a file - 40_custom - which I imagine will be blank. I paste the code I just copied from grub.cfg and make the edits to it that I normally make when editing the Windows booter in GRUB during startup. I then close gedit.

Then finally I enter the following into my terminal:
    sudo update-grub

Now there'll be a new entry in the GRUB loader that I can just select to boot Windows. If I want, I can remove the old broken entry.

Is that right? Have I understood all of the steps? Thanks so much again for all your help (and everyone else who posted here!).
    Last edited by Matthew_Bird; July 17th, 2014 at 05:42 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast