Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 12.04 install seemed OK, won't boot

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: 12.04 install seemed OK, won't boot

If UEFI you need the FAT32 with boot flag, If BIOS you need bios_grub unformatted partition.

This is my 64SSD. I only have BIOS but planned on moving it to a UEFI system when I configured it. With gdisk a ef00 is the efi partition and an ef02 is a bios_grub partition where parted & gparted use boot flag for efi and bios_grub flag.

Code:
    fred@fred-Precise:~$ sudo gdisk -l /dev/sdd
    [sudo] password for fred: 
    GPT fdisk (gdisk) version 0.8.1

Partition table scan:
      MBR: protective
      BSD: not present
      APM: not present
      GPT: present

Found valid GPT with protective MBR; using GPT.
    Disk /dev/sdd: 117231408 sectors, 55.9 GiB
    Logical sector size: 512 bytes
    Disk identifier (GUID): 85A657E7-D379-4592-B060-E8EA09953D80
    Partition table holds up to 128 entries
    First usable sector is 34, last usable sector is 117231374
    Partitions will be aligned on 2048-sector boundaries
    Total free space is 3645 sectors (1.8 MiB)

Number  Start (sector)    End (sector)  Size       Code  Name
       1            2048          616447   300.0 MiB   EF00  
       2          616448          618495   1024.0 KiB  EF02  
       3          618496        58925055   27.8 GiB    8300  Precise
       4        58925056       117229743   27.8 GiB    8300  TrustySSD
    UEFI boot install & repair info - Regularly Updated :
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans

Thx both for detailed info.

Sorry to be stupid, but where does this "bios_grub" flag come from? In the partition editor inside the 14.04 installer, all I see is primary/logical. Is that another choice of filesystem type like ext4/fat32/swap?

Should I use liveUSB + gparted to partition & format the disk, and then go through the installer and let it use that disk? Maybe even let Linux do its own thing, putting the whole shebang on one partition (I guess plus a bios_grub partition), and then after it's able to boot, then mess with fstab to get my extra partitions the way I want them.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

If you just install in BIOS mode, it should auto create it. But if you partition in advance with gparted you have to create a 1 or 2MB unformatted partition and right click to set bios_grub flag.
    If installing UEFI mode it should also auto create a FAT32 efi partition, but I do not know what size it will default to.

I just prefer to partition in advance with gparted and add both efi & bios_grub partitions. Then you can easily install in either mode. Gparted is a bit easier to work with than installer, but you still have to use Something else and choose mount for / (root) at the minimum and format like ext4. If partitions are created in advance you click change not + or -.

I used gparted and selected gpt under device, advanced & select gpt over msdos(MBR) default partitioning....
    You do not want MBR partitioning.

You can actually install to boot in either mode. This was a flash drive but same procedure would apply to any device.

Flash drive to boot in UEFI or BIOS - sudodus
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/In.../UEFI-and-BIOS

GParted partitioning software - Full tutorial
    http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/gparted.html
    Screenshots of using gparted
    http://www.howtoforge.com/partitioning_with_gparted
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans

I recognize those three screens from the installer -- what is BIOS or UEFI "mode" of installation? Is there a choice somewhere that you make?

1 or 2 mb unformatted partition: is that why the installer partition editor leaves 1mb of free space in front of my first partition no matter what?

Looking at one of your links, I see the statement "Boot into UEFI mode from the install drive" -- what does that mean? wrangle the bios to force liveUSB booting to use UEFI vs BIOS? Does the liveUSB have both EFI and grub_bios "partitions"? And then depending on which way the computer boots the liveUSB, that's the way the installer wants to set up linux booting?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

BIOS & UEFI are not compatible, so once you start booting from UEFI/BIOS menu you cannot change modes. So how you boot flash drive or DVD is how it installs. Boot-Repair or manual commands to change grub from UEFI to BIOS can be done but only if drive is gpt partitioned.

Normally installer will not use gpt unless drive is somewhat over 1TB and empty or over 2TiB and then gpt is required or if installing in UEFI boot mode which requires gpt.

The space at the beginning of a BIOS/MBR drive is for compatiblitiy with new SSDs or new 4K drives.
    First, understand that most partitioning tools have moved to a policy of aligning partitions on 1 MiB (2048-sector) boundaries as a way of improving performance with some types of arrays and some types of new hard disks (those with 4096-byte physical sectors). See article by srs5694:
    http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/li...-sector-disks/
    Post on 8-sector boundaries alignment by srs5694
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1685666

Live installer is both BIOS using syslinux boot loader in MBR and grub since installer is FAT32 UEFI will look for a /efi/boot folder for efi boot files which also exists on installer. You should see two boot options from UEFI menu for flash drive. One usually is clearly UEFI and the other just may have label or name of flash drive but is the BIOS boot mode.

Shows install with screen shots for both BIOS(purple) & UEFI(grub menu), so you know which you are using.
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UEFI

Others have posted some screens, your may not look the same but should have similar boot options somewhere in UEFI boot screen. Some have to turn on a setting to allow UEFI booting of flash drive for security reasons. And some even have to set a password, but if you have to set password never ever lose that or you may lock system permanently.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by oldfred; June 19th, 2014 at 07:54 PM.

Beans

OK progress, went around a couple times trying different schemes like that, it still wasn't booting, but I discovered that in my BIOS, there's two "tabs" (this is the window-iest bios I've ever seen!), one for UEFI (which I have unchecked) and one for Legacy; the Legacy one has a rectangle that "sees" my SSD (and the label includes "boot" -- don't know why it doesn't just boot it); I can double click on that thingy, it asks if I want to save BIOS before booting, I say yes, and it reboots successfully into Ubuntu!

So that's my workaround, I'd like of course to get it to do it the first time around (I've tested rebooting, it gets stuck again as above, I have to reboot, F2 to get into BIOS, then double-click on the SSD to reboot into it).

FYI, here's my partition info from parted -l
    Model: ATA INTEL SSDMCEAW18 (scsi)
    Disk /dev/sda: 180GB
    Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/512B
    Partition Table: gpt

Number Start End Size File system Name Flags
    1 1049kB 2097kB 1049kB bios_grub
    2 2097kB 20.0GB 20.0GB ext4
    3 20.0GB 36.0GB 16.0GB linux-swap(v1)
    4 36.0GB 66.0GB 30.0GB ext4
    5 66.0GB 180GB 114GB ext4

If it would be helpful, I can install and run that boot-repair thing and paste a new link again

Beans

oopx, duplicate comment edited away

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Do not know about NUC specifically. But what I have seen was all UEFI with the latest version of Ubuntu as that includes many of the Intel fixes for various Intel systems.

I might add an efi partition even if you want to force system in BIOS mode. Some Intel systems will not boot without a partition with a boot flag. Or later you may want to experiment with UEFI. And then when system is fully configured it is difficult to add an efi at beginning of the drive.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Yeah - there are many buggy BIOS implementations out there still that do not follow the specs, especially around booting GPT disks. Some assume that UEFI is required to boot GPT - that is NOT in the specs.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12