Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Unable to find, view or access Windows 8 files after Ubuntu install

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Unable to find view, or access Windows 8 files after Ubuntu install!!!

Well that's both good news and bad news at the same time. Thanks Bucky Ball for advising me on my original post mistake and for taking the time to look over my info. If I had kept making that mistake my questions might have never gotten answered lol. If things keep progressing like they are I'm sure this problem will be fixed in no-time. It's great that Windows could be intact because I don't have anyway of re-installing that right now, Ubuntu on the other hand seems to have a ton of ways of to either repair or replace.

Beans
    Distro

Oldfred should I try to mount sda1 now using the command line yancek told me?

[ sudo mount -t ntfs-3g /dev/sdb1 /mnt/windows ]
    Last edited by xdonbaldwin; June 15th, 2014 at 05:53 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Your buddy really messed with your system and did not know what to do on a new UEFI type system.

There is a wubi install in your Windows NTFS partition sda3. Wubi does not work with gpt partitioned drives which UEFI requires. Hopefully we can get back to Windows but may need several repairs.
    Do have have access to another Windows 8 system at work, school or friend? You will need a Windows repair flash drive to get Windows working.
    You also seem to have another Windows 8 in sda6. Did he copy it as a backup?

It looks like multiple installs were tried, you show 13.10 in sda10 and 14.04 in sda18.
    You seem to have several bios_grub partitions which are required with a BIOS boot on a gpt drive. You show 3 swap partitions, so it looks like three installs (plus wubi) were tried.

With UEFI/gpt the boot flag determined which partition is the efi partition. That partition has a folder for every system installed and efi files for UEFI to find and use to boot.
    In BIOS the boot flag is only used by Windows and has to be on the primary partition (MBR only) with the Windows boot files. Either a small boot partition or the main install.
    You now have the boot flag on the main Windows install so UEFI thinks that is an efi boot partition but it has no efi folders. Your buddy moved boot flag to main Windows install like you would with BIOS, but that breaks UEFI boot.

The efi partition also must be FAT32 formatted and the Windows default is usually about 100MB near the beginning of the drive. And that partition is not shown. You do show a FAT32 partition sda4, normally the efi partition is before the Windows main install. And the sda2 looks like the required system reserved partition that must be before the Windows partition, usually just before it. But it should be after the efi partition.

Order on drive is important: msftres
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microso...rved_Partition

So I do not know if partitions were copied and moved around or not. I also have seen where script misses showing files if partition structure is not correct. Do you have in your sda4 a Microsoft folder with efi files plus others?

It looks like if you let Boot-Repair reinstall grub of the 14.04 install in sda18 into the MBR that then you could boot that if in your UEFI menu you have UEFI boot turned off and BIOS/CSM/Legacy boot turned on.

It does show you booted live installer in BIOS mode. It should actually show two modes one UEFI and one not UEFI or usually just the name/label of the flash drive.
    Boot repair can convert a BIOS install to UEFI, but we have to resolve multiple issues first.

Script is not saying it cannot mount any of your NTFS partitions, so they may not be hibernated. Can you mount either or both sda3 & sda6 and see your files? That would be great if you can. And immediately backup everything to another device, flash drive or hard drive.
    Last edited by oldfred; June 15th, 2014 at 06:11 PM.
    UEFI boot install & repair info - Regularly Updated :
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans
    Distro

Alright just to make sure I don't screw anything up, I need to use this first -

sudo mkdir /mnt/windows

Afterwards do I enter the command like this -

sudo mount -t ntfs-3g /dev/sdb3 /mnt/windows

Or do I need to actually enter windows 8 in place of windows?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

You posted while I was composing the long post above.
    You can try mounting both sda3 & sda6 as you do not have a sdb except the live installer. A few systems do promote a flash drive to sda and make hard drive sdb, so always good idea to check with parted or other tools to be sure which drive is which.
    If they mount ok, you should just be able to use Nautilus file browser to click on the partitions, or use Disks, or gparted to mount. if gparted shows red or yellow warning triangles right click on those but will will give standard error where it typically is hibernated and will not mount.
    If manually mounting you have to use different mounts for each.
    UEFI boot install & repair info - Regularly Updated :
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans
    Distro

Ok so I understood some of that lol Let me see if I'm even close. What your saying is I need to use a program called parted to check and see which driver is which. Then I have to install the Disks or gparted program and use that to try and mount both of those partitions. If I use the terminal then I have to use different mounting locations to mount them too?

Beans
    Hidden!

parted and gparted come with all Ubuntu flavour install iso files, so you have them already. Disks come with some on the iso files.

You can mount the partitions one after another, but you can also mount them at the same time (but of course to different mount points).

For example: devices 'sda3 & sda6'

1. create mount points

Code:
    sudo mkdir /mnt/sda3
    sudo mkdir /mnt/sda6
    2. mount each device

Code:
    sudo mount /dev/sda3 /mnt/sda3
    sudo mount /dev/sda6 /mnt/sda6
    If the mounting is successful, you can browse to the mount point with a file browser or use terminal window commands. Remember that you should go to the mount points

/mnt/sda3 and /mnt/sda6

in order to see directories and files. So this is a critical step and depends on the way Windows was shut down (hibernated or a complete shutdown).

(If this is successful, you should also be able to copy files to another drive, where you have also mounted a partition, and where you have write access. You might need to copy with superuser privileges in order to perform the copying. But that is the next step.)

-o-

Edit: You can run the command

Code:
    df
    and post the output after trying to mount the devices
    Last edited by sudodus; June 15th, 2014 at 07:06 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Ok so this is what I get after I ran the mounting codes

Code:
    df: ‘/root/.gvfs’: Permission denied
    Filesystem     1K-blocks      Used Available Use% Mounted on
    /dev/sda18      12670272  11094816    908784  93% /
    none                   4         0         4   0% /sys/fs/cgroup
    udev             2822696        12   2822684   1% /dev
    tmpfs             566452      1376    565076   1% /run
    none                5120         0      5120   0% /run/lock
    none             2832240     45400   2786840   2% /run/shm
    none              102400        68    102332   1% /run/user
    /dev/sda10      51481784   5129616  43713988  11% /media/goomba/a076baac-66a4-4382-bedc-74b7ccaa8207
    /dev/sda3      309061356 284321764  24739592  92% /mnt/sda3
    /dev/sda6        9585660    943420   8642240  10% /mnt/sda6
    Apparently I have to have root permissions to access the folder they are mounted in?
    Last edited by sudodus; June 15th, 2014 at 08:14 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by xdonbaldwin View Post
    Ok so this is what I get after I ran the mounting codes

Code:
    df: ‘/root/.gvfs’: Permission denied
    Filesystem     1K-blocks      Used Available Use% Mounted on
    /dev/sda18      12670272  11094816    908784  93% /
    none                   4         0         4   0% /sys/fs/cgroup
    udev             2822696        12   2822684   1% /dev
    tmpfs             566452      1376    565076   1% /run
    none                5120         0      5120   0% /run/lock
    none             2832240     45400   2786840   2% /run/shm
    none              102400        68    102332   1% /run/user
    /dev/sda10      51481784   5129616  43713988  11% /media/goomba/a076baac-66a4-4382-bedc-74b7ccaa8207
    /dev/sda3      309061356 284321764  24739592  92% /mnt/sda3
    /dev/sda6        9585660    943420   8642240  10% /mnt/sda6

Apparently I have to have root permissions to access the folder they are mounted in?
    I added code tags to make the output easier to read.

The red lines show that you can mount and read the partitions. So please use the file browser and browse to /mnt/sda3 and further down in the file system. I think you can find and read files there. And the browse to /mnt/sda6 ...

Beans
    Distro

Oh yeah sda3 has all the files I was trying to save on it and I'm not sure what sda6 is from. It looks like just a generic Windows 8 OS. Thank you guys sooo much for helping me access all those files, you have no Idea how much this means to me. So I'm guessing the next step is find something to back-up all these files on and then either find a way to do a Windows 8 restore without a restore disk or a Windows 8 disk or wait to finish fixing it until I have a disk.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast