Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Unable to find, view or access Windows 8 files after Ubuntu install

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Unable to find, view or access Windows 8 files after Ubuntu install

Hi I have a really screwed up situation that I'm hoping someone on here will be able to help with. Back story: I went on a trip to visit relatives and left my laptop at home thinking that was the best place for it (I was apparently wrong). I had given a friend of mine a key so that he could feed, give water, and let my dog out while I was gone. When I returned I found he had taken very good care of my dog but my laptop which originally had Windows 8 on it now had Ubuntu on it.

It gives me a Windows 8 option on the start up screen but when I hit it I'm told I need a Windows 8 disk to restore to Windows. This really worries me because I had A LOT of Photos, Music, and Movies on my laptop that I can't replace (I know I should have done a full backup before leaving but I was retarded and didn't). When I asked him about it he said that everything was still on there and that I only needed to get a Windows 8 disk and I would get it all back.

I'm worried he either doesn't know what hes talking about or lied because I can't find any sign of them through Ubuntu and haven't been able to get a Windows 8 disk to test it. What I'm wanting to know is if there is anyway to definitively find out whether the files are still there without using a Windows 8 disk? If they are still there is there anyway I can access them now or do I need to wait for the disk to retrieve them? I know this all probably sounds really dumb but I have been trying to find answers to these questions for a while now and can't seem to find anyone with the same problem. I'm really hoping someone on here can answer my questions and hopefully help me get all this mess sorted out.

Thank you for your time and energy in trying to help me.
    Last edited by xdonbaldwin; June 15th, 2014 at 03:44 PM. Reason: Suggested by forum moderator

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: Unable to find view, or access Windows 8 files after Ubuntu install!!!

You will not get far with a 'black blob' of text. Please provide paragraphs. Many, including me, will take one look at the above and move on. Hurts my eyes! Thanks.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

If you're still on speaking terms with this "friend", it would be easiest to get him to copy all your files onto an external drive.
    If not, can you get into Ubuntu yourself? The file manager (should not be too hard to find) will be able to show you all the drives on the machine (sometimes pressing F9 makes a side-panel appear/disappear which can list the devices). An external drive should also appear in that list when you plug it in, so with two file manager windows, you can drag/drop between the two.

Failing that, can you tel us how far you get so we can give instructions from there.

Ultimately you may well need a windows disk to either repair or reinstall.

Beans
    Distro

Thank you both for your replies. I took your advice Bucky Ball and edited the post let me know if it needs anymore editing. He isn't returning my calls which is another reason I started thinking he had lied about the files still being there. I'm currently using Ubuntu seeing how its the only option I have right now and the file manager shows multiple devices off to the side and I have no external devices attached at the moment.

19GB Volume
    XP
    9.1 GB Volume
    7.5 GB Volume
    27 GB Volume
    54 GB Volume
    Computer

I'm not sure which one would hold the Windows 8 files, but when I use the magnifying glass icon at the top and search all files for a folder I had on Windows 8 it comes back with nothing. I don't know exactly what I'm supposed to search for in order to find out.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Many users forget to turn off the fast boot or always on hibernation and then Linux NTFS driver will not mount the hibernated system.
    You have to boot into Windows and turn it off. If a new UEFI system, you may be able to directly boot from UEFI menu or one time boot key into Windows if your "friend" did not erase it.

Best to see details. Boot-Repair only fixes a few minor Windows issues. For Windows you do need a Windows repair flash drive.
    Boot Repair -Also handles LVM, GPT, separate /boot and UEFI dual boot.:
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Boot-Repair

Windows 8 UEFI repair USB must be FAT32, not for reinstall, just repairs
    http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials...ndows-8-a.html
    http://www.winhelp.us/create-a-recov...ows-8.html#USB
    http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/For...-166dddf32205/
    http://www.ghacks.net/2012/11/01/how...m-repair-disc/
    For more info on UEFI boot install & repair - Regularly Updated :
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans

The first thing you could do is open a terminal from Ubuntu, type the following command: sudo fdisk -l(Lower Case Letter L in the command) You will be prompted for the primary user password. I hope your 'friend' gave you that? This command will output information on drives/partitions. Sample entry below. The first column is Device and below shows /dev/sdb1. That would be the first partition on the second disk. Make a note of what you see only for the partitions which have "HPFS/NTFS/exFAT" under the System column as shown below. You should then be able to mount the partition and look to see if your files are there. If you dont see any ntfs partitions, bad news.

Code:
    /dev/sdb1   *        2048     7903979     3950966    7  HPFS/NTFS/exFAT
    You can mount with the command below, changing the sdb1 to whatever is correct on your system. If it fails, post the output. Before running the command below, create a mount point with: sudo mkdir /mnt/windows

sudo mount -t ntfs-3g /dev/sdb1 /mnt/windows
    Last edited by yancek; June 15th, 2014 at 04:09 PM.

Beans
    Distro

When I enter the command: sudo fdisk -l and enter my password this is what it tells me

Code:
    WARNING: GPT (GUID Partition Table) detected on '/dev/sda'! The util fdisk doesn't support GPT. Use GNU Parted.

Disk /dev/sda: 500.1 GB, 500107862016 bytes
    255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 60801 cylinders, total 976773168 sectors
    Units = sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
    Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 4096 bytes
    I/O size (minimum/optimal): 4096 bytes / 4096 bytes
    Disk identifier: 0x1efad293

Device Boot      Start         End      Blocks   Id  System
    /dev/sda1               1   976773167   488386583+  ee  GPT
    Partition 1 does not start on physical sector boundary.
    I'm guessing that's bad.
    Last edited by The Cog; June 16th, 2014 at 08:24 PM. Reason: Added code tags

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

No, it just is you have a newer UEFI system that has to have gpt partitioning. The fdisk command only works on older BIOS boot system with MBR(msdos) partitioning.

You can run this command to see partitions, Boot-REpairs BootInfo report does that plus many other commands automatically and copies report to paste bin so we can see it.

sudo parted -l
    For more info on UEFI boot install & repair - Regularly Updated :
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans
    Distro

Ok I followed the instructions in the link to get boot-repair and ran Bootinfo shown in the link below, while running Bootinfo the files and folders on my desktop disappeared is that normal and did they just get moved somewhere?

http://paste.ubuntu.com/7648533/

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

There are major issues with your Ubuntu install. It may well have something to do with UEFI. oldfred may be able to help you out. Note well what he has to say on the subject, but it looks grim. Something has gone wrong. Windows and your NTFS partitions look intact, though. It's just the Ubuntu install that appears to have gone pear-shaped.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast