I have been using Ubuntu 14.04 for about 3 weeks or so, dual booting with Windows 7. Yesterday evening, while using Ubuntu OS, I found I could not get onto BBC Homepage. The screen went grey and I was given the option of waiting or forcing a halt to the download attempt. I did one and then the other. Later I logged off and logged back on, this time to Windows 7 which configured the OS after having downloaded some updates earlier in the day. As a matter of fact the Windows configuration did not go as normal. It had about three goes at completing the configuration having to re-start itself about three times and ending up by starting itself in what looked to be 'safe mode'.

Anyway, most of of the above might be irrelevant to the problem I now have which is that Ubuntu does not seem to be recognising my logging in password. I can get in only as a 'guest'. Can anyone please tell me how I can restore things to normal in Ubuntu? I have, by the way, tried a start up using the Ubuntu 'Advanced' option but the has not solved the problem.