Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: downloaded apps appear in task bar on left of desktop,but no GUI appears

Beans

Re: downloadedapps appear in task bar on left of desktop,but no GUI appears!

i just tried using the command/path forvlcyou mentioned,and it didnt work i'm afraid.it LOOKEd as though it would,but no.
    the prompt gave me these reseults:
    /usr/bin/vlc
    VLC media player 2.1.4 Rincewind (revision 2.1.4-0-g2a072be)
    [0xc68118] main libvlc: Running vlc with the default interface. Use 'cvlc' to use vlc without interface.
    but i onlygotan icon on the launch bar,and an icon up top left on the black bar.
    any ideas what is wrong there?

Beans

when trying torun VLC from terminal, i got what looked like good results from its txt:
    /usr/bin/vlc
    [0xc68118] main libvlc: Running vlc with the default interface. Use 'cvlc' to use vlc without interface.

but i only got an icon on the launch bar, and an icon up top right on the black bar.
    and still happens with other progs.

Beans

when trying to run VLC from terminal, i got what looked like good results from its txt:
    /usr/bin/vlc

but i only got an icon on the launch bar, and an icon up top right on the black bar.
    and still happens with other progs.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by oldrocker99 View Post
    The Unity desktop has its quirks; you might want a more traditional one. Try this:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install xubuntu-desktop
    Hit Y when it asks, and let it download and install. Then log out and select "Xubuntu" from the button by your login. Log in and see if you like XCFE (the desktop used in Xubuntu) better.
    BRILLIANT!!!!
    what a difference! am very very happy with the result of this advice! it is honestly like running a whole fesh new setup! thankyou very kindly for such a short,simple, humble,no-time-wasting suggestion!
    as it happens,before i quit using unity,the default desktop, it had gotten so slow, i thought i was on an old infected, overloaded windows device! even slower.
    so-

SOLVED!
    this problem is fullyfinished!
    thank you toall!and especially old rocker99.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123