Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: downloaded apps appear in task bar on left of desktop,but no GUI appears

Beans

Re: downloadedapps appear in task bar on left of desktop,but no GUI appears!

Quote Originally Posted by 3rdalbum View Post
    What happens when you launch one of those misbehaving programs from the terminal? Does the GUI work then, and if not are there any error messages in the terminal?
    sounds like a great idea!!!
    though i'm afraid i'm still a bit of a panzy when it comes to terminal literacy.but i do like this idea. thanx
    Last edited by Un_Known; June 12th, 2014 at 08:53 AM.

Beans

now rythmbox wont load onto desktop,just getting it on left taskbar,

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by jdeca57 View Post
    If I understand main question correctly, the answer - to get icons on the desktop - is http://askubuntu.com/questions/45026...sktop-shortcut
    cool!i like it!!
    the main issue really is that no apps actually run,apart from appearing in the launcher baron the l;eft of screen.
    in short i cant use anything!!! well,no tmuch. and many of the apps that do appear/load on desktop dont function too well. eg,museek wont connect or certain function are greyed out,that is inactive/locked.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Have you got 2 monitors?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Actually that probably has nothing to do with it sorry.

Beans

Re: downloaded apps appear in task bar on left of desktop,but no GUI appears

You may be running with lvmpipe which is generally slow & unusable -
    Open a terminal (ctrl+alt+t
    copy & paste this command, press enter. See if you get any no's
    Code:
    /usr/lib/nux/unity_support_test -p
    Also post output of -
    Code:
    sudo lshw -C display

Beans

AH! incidently mwcerrana! i do technically speaking use two monitors, yes.my main laptopmonitor has damage on it,so i use an auxilliary one to compensate!
    it is possible that wouldsomehow upset the actual running of the system?
    weirdly interesting!!!!!!! any further info there may help if its releveant?

Beans

Re: downloaded apps appear in task bar on left of desktop,but no GUI appears

hey mc4man! yes,i tried running those commands, and the first one, "test p" gave me all yes's,and the 2nd,a long list. it goes thusly:

*-display:0
    description: VGA compatible controller
    product: Mobile 4 Series Chipset Integrated Graphics Controller
    vendor: Intel Corporation
    physical id: 2
    bus info: pci@0000:00:02.0
    version: 09
    width: 64 bits
    clock: 33MHz
    capabilities: msi pm vga_controller bus_master cap_list rom
    configuration: driver=i915 latency=0
    resources: irq:45 memory:f0000000-f03fffff memory:d0000000-dfffffff ioport:1800(size=8)
    *-display:1 UNCLAIMED
    description: Display controller
    product: Mobile 4 Series Chipset Integrated Graphics Controller
    vendor: Intel Corporation
    physical id: 2.1
    bus info: pci@0000:00:02.1
    version: 09
    width: 64 bits
    clock: 33MHz
    capabilities: pm bus_master cap_list
    configuration: latency=0
    resources: memory:f0400000-f04fffff

it'sa bit ofa mouthful,and i wouldnt know if anything is wrong there. what you think?

Beans

i may try this suggestion in a day or two.may just see how if this fixes first,just as much for learning as just simply to fix. thanx tho! appreciated

Beans

ahhhh! so the paths to apps goes in that manner? cool! thanx!
    will try that for sure,tho its a hassle having to do that allthe time,it may help.
    the first suggestion i have tried, using the dash! it sometimes worked,but still mostly got the same glitches.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast