Thread: Temporary unresponsive login screen, after which two new accounts are discovered

Beans

Temporary unresponsive login screen, after which two new accounts are discovered

Hello,

I am running Ubuntu 14.04 LTS and today saw a bit of a weird thing happen.
    I left my computer to get a coffee, and when I got back the desktop had locked and was showing the login-screen.
    All good right? (Edit, the coffee machine is basically in plain sight of my computer, no-one was even close to it.)

Now, when I started typing, nothing is being entered in the password box like it normally does.
    The mouse worked perfectly. There was a prompt in the password box the blinked like it normally does.
    I went and asked a colleague with more Ubuntu experience but he didn't have a clue.
    After trying a few times more with him watching, and in frustration hammering randomly on the keyboard I turned my head away from the screen for a few seconds.
    When I turned back, I am logged in and the text editor that is showing is showing lots (perhaps all, I couldn't tell) of the keystrokes I made while doing retries and the above random hammering.

I then though, oh well, that was a first "lag" of the ubuntu gui I had experienced and continued to work until I shut down the computer and went home.
    Now when restart the computer I see two new accounts that I don't recognize on login screen. Previously there were only my account and a "Guest" account.
    Now there are two more, "test", and "temporary".

This is beginning to feel suspicious and since I am using this computer to access sensitive information I am wondering if anyone has any tips about what can have caused this.

A sidenote, I practically always do the upgrades immediately when Ubuntu prompts for them. I did one of those in the morning today a couple of hours before the strange login-event happened.

I would be glad for any information.
    /Thomas
    Last edited by HairlessMonkey; June 10th, 2014 at 08:24 PM. Reason: Clarification.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: Temporary unresponsive login screen, after which two new accounts are discovered

Thread moved to Security Discussions.
    Some people here will be able to answer the possible security breach.

In the mean time, you can have a look at the recent upgrades in /var/log/apt/history.log or term.log. Please see what got upgraded/installed since you booted the machine that day or the few days before. Using any third party repositories or ppa ? If so, which ones ?
    | My old and mostly abandoned blog |
    Linux user #413984 ; Ubuntu user #178
    J'aime les fraises.
    Nighty night me lovelies!

| Reinstalling Ubuntu ? Please check this bug first ! |
    | Using a ppa ? Please install ppa-purge from universe, you may need it should you want to revert packages back |
    | No support requests / username changes by PM, thanks. |
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Temporary unresponsive login screen, after which two new accounts are discovered

How are you connected to the internet?
    Do you have remote desktop enabled?
    Do you have an SSH server installed?
    Are you using a weak password?
    -Chayak

Beans

Please ignore/delete this question.
    It can be filed under stupidity (those accounts were not new accounts, yes I had created them and forgot about them but looking at .bash_history on them I remembered.)
    The only strange thing left was the laggy login but that is in itself not anything I will pursue further.

/Thomas