Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: new to ubuntu (12:04) and many things dont seem to work

Beans

new to ubuntu (12:04) and many things dont seem to work

install sort of went well. although was'nt great.
    many errors but then eventual restart sorted it out.
    many letters (fonts) dont always appear correctly, almost nothing installs well (and most installs are too difficult for me anyhow), constant error code 1 (something to do with packaging?)
    firefox constantly freezing up (i thought that was only windows?)
    none of my media players can show videos. the inbuilt media player shows a frozen first frame, and vlc only shows in task bar but dopsnt actually appear to load at all.

cant get fullscreen in firefox, and perhaps not in vlc either.
    there are many instructions online with some of my issues, but it makes no sense to a bigginer, like i need to be in a secret society to understand the lingo.
    i get the basic ideas of using terminal, however most instructions dont lead you into it very well as if your already meant to know it all already.

so far am really dissapointed, and its becoming a little soul-destroying right now.

please do feel free to ask me for more relevant info.
    OH! i just tried installing furious iso, and again,mgetting notice stating install fialed due to something about a failed package or something
    Last edited by howefield; June 9th, 2014 at 09:09 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: new to ubuntu (12:04) and many things dont seem to work

What exactly went wrong with the install? Can you remember any error messages?

How are you trying to install things? Best to use the Software Centre. That is not difficult at all. Just search and install. Have you got the correct video card drivers installed?

Please do an update and then install ubuntu-restricted-extras and restart after running these three commands in a terminal, one at a time, hitting 'enter' after each. Post any errors it returns.
    Code:
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get upgrade
    sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
    After the update, check 'Additional Drivers' (or could be 'Hardware Drivers' in your release) and see if you are offered anything.

No secret society, but yes, can take a bit of time and an attitude shift to get the hang if coming from Windows ...

Beans

firefox goes dark and freezes up within as little as ten seconds.j
    ust tried google chrome (which i doint particularly like,but...) it wont install, and isnt showing in recent list either.
    in fact i havnt a clue where the installer will be (firefox folder).

even the software centre froze up!!!!

i havnt gotten ONE single device running properly. and EVERYTHING gives me an error when i try to install.
    i really want to like ubuntu (my son was a disigner for it a few years ago) but if this is my first day on it,it has been soul destroying. i just wanna give up. ruined a whole day and made everything worthless and un-done.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Chromium Browser is what you want and it is in Software Centre, but with things going this badly, I wouldn't bother; sounds like something went wrong during the install, perhaps, but you provide no details of any error messages and do not identify why the 'install went sort of well' or the 'many errors', as requested.

Open a terminal and issue the commands I gave in my previous post. Report back any errors, please. I understand your frustration ...

Beans

how did you install? DVD or usb? i have had the experience of a cd/dvd not liking a particular media but not so much in the last couple years. Is this a new or older computer?
    Could the dvd rom be dirty or getting old and flaky?

With so many questions and no information.......
    The only dumb question is the one not asked.

In service to the Dream

Beans

software centre not helpoful at all. fails everytime.
    google chrome wontn install, and software centre stuck in a loop between installing it, and trying to repair "package" missing, or something.
    absolutely nothing has installed all day. soulseek wont connect, media player has played once succesfully,vlc just wont work, dj mixxx cant run audto dj, firefox wont run.
    only thing i can do is try to somehow install the fesh copy of recent ubuntu i did manage to get.
    however, the way this is going, i reaslly dont think that might be a good idea. who knows.
    so much conflicting advise everywhere, use ppa, use re[ositories, do,dont,dont,do.....
    my brains turning into ozze now.
    i just wanted away from the bull... of windows,and at the moment its just worse.
    incidsently,been using that command today already.... i still fail to see what it did then. honest mate.
    will try it once more,even though i havnt a clue exactly what its meant todo.ok,will try......,.

thank you though. i really do appreciate. just been a little distressed here mate.

right,let me see..... dam font still a bit weird.....
    eh, terminalhas gotten to "...reading package lists... done" and thats it. that right?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Ubuntu 12.04 is rather old now. Although it is still supported, I would recommend you download Ubuntu 14.04 instead and try using that.

14.04 is the latest version. If your computer or any of the hardware you are trying to use was made after April 2012 it might not work or might not work well with Ubuntu 12.04, but probably will with 14.04.

Also, if you have problems with 14.04 please describe one problem at a time, in as much detail as possible (for instance, instead of "It said there was a package error or something" you would say "As I tried to install VLC from Ubuntu Software Center, an error message told me there was a held package").

Try not to get discouraged; Ubuntu actually isn't difficult to use, it's just very different to anything you've used before. It does sound like you have had extraordinary problems; possibly your CD was scratched and caused Ubuntu to not install properly. Most people don't have these kinds of problems. I also understand you when you say there is a lot of conflicting advice out there - you're correct, there is, but try to focus on advice given by people who have been here for several years. And only take recent advice - for Ubuntu 14.04, anything said before 2014 could be irrelevant or completely wrong. A bit like trying to follow Windows 95 instructions on Windows 7.
    Last edited by 3rdalbum; June 9th, 2014 at 03:37 PM.
    I try to treat the cause, not the symptom. I avoid the terminal in instructions, unless it's easier or necessary. My instructions will work within the Ubuntu system, instead of breaking or subverting it. Those are the three guarantees to the helpee.

Beans

i installed from a dvd.
    and now,also have a very up to date ubuntu iso,
    to attempt fresh install.
    but yes, very frtustrating, i havnt done a useful peice of work all day.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Yep, but run all three commands in my first post and follow the other stuff there. Report any errors.

What are the specs of the machine, model and make? RAM and CPU?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

i think you should freshly install the os once more.......formatting the drive..........and then hope for the best.......
    Nav

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast