Thread: Incorrect Nvidia Driver = Resolution Disconfigured

Beans

Incorrect Nvidia Driver = Resolution Disconfigured

I was having problems with my graphics drivers so I went to Nvidia and downloaded a driver that matched my AMD Catalyst driver specifications. I used tty1 to do this and everything seemed fine but it told me that I was installing the incorrect driver for my system (even though I made sure to download the correct one). So, I decided to to continue the install and it gave me another error before installation that the pre install script had failed. At this point I was ready to see what happened so I allowed the install to complete. Restarting my system, my resolution is zoomed in and after logging in I get this:
    Screenshot from 2014-06-08 22:03:32.png
    Would uninstalling the driver fix the issue at hand?
    My system is Ubuntu 12.04 LTS and my graphics driver was (something like) AMD Radeon RV710 [Radeon HD 4550]
    please help...

Beans

Re: Incorrect Nvidia Driver = Resolution Disconfigured

UPDATE

I uninstalled Nvidia and now I am missing parts of my GUI. I have no dash sidebar nor can I close/minimize windows. I've tried resetting Unity but it is not an issue with that...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Uninstalling the driver? Sure.

But the real question is why go to nvidia to get an amd driver?
    If the card is amd, then you need amd drivers, nvidia drivers won't do anything.

Aside from that, though, AMD has stopped support for your card, so no driver you try to download will work with the current versions of Xserver used by Ubuntu.
    You'll have to rely on the open-source radeon driver.
    Last edited by deadflowr; June 9th, 2014 at 03:46 AM.
    Splat Double Splat Triple Splat
    Earn Your Keep
    Don't mind me, I'm only passing through.
    Once in a blue moon, I'm actually helpful

Beans

Okay, I managed to find a solution to my question in this thread here
    As for why I am trying to install Nvidia, it was a solution to my first thread Steam: glxChooseVisual Failed
    It seemed sound, and if I were to have (potentially) installed the correct driver Steam may have worked. When I tried to run Steam with the Nvidia driver, it gave me an error like "GLX is not using direct rendering" which led me to believe that If the rendering/resolution had been stable it would have ran, and resolved my initial issue.

Beans

Issue Resolved.
    TL;DR Uninstalled Nvidia, Installed correct AMD driver.