Thread: Dual-boot set up along w/ Windows 8

Beans

Dual-boot set up along w/ Windows 8

Dual-boot set up along w/ Windows 8

Asked by Ron a moment ago

Dear all,
    I am trying to have a dual-boot setup on my brand new Toshiba which came preinstalled with Windows 8. I have run the Ubuntu installer and have come to the menu where it asks for "Installation Type." Previously when I installed Ubuntu on other machines, the Ubuntu installer recognized that there existed operating systems and as such it always gave me the option of choosing to install Ubuntu along side with the original OS (say a Windows or a Mac). In this case, though, the Ubuntu installer tells me the following message:
    "This computer currently has no detected operating systems. What would you like to do?"
    And then there are four different options:
    1. Erase disk and install Ubuntu
    2. Encrypt the new Ubuntu installation for security
    3. Use LVM with the new Ubuntu installation
    4. Something else (you can create or resize partitions yourself, or choose multiple partitions for Ubuntu.
    Now I have no idea what options #2 and 3 are really, and I know I do not want #1. But I also do know that #4 is way too difficult for my level of skills. So here I am asking for help.
    Please advise what I should do.
    R

Beans

Re: Dual-boot set up along w/ Windows 8

Do NOT trust the automated parts of the installer at this point:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...y/+bug/1265192

It's a mess!

Beans

So what should I do? How should I install Ubuntu? Is there a safer and easier way?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

If at all familar with partitions the Something Else install option is not all that hard.

But with new UEFI systems, you must do several things in advance.
    Use Windows own partition tools to shrink Windows to make room for Ubuntu and do not create any partitions with Windows. Immediately reboot so it can run chkdsk and update itself.
    Turn off fastboot or the always on hibernation. Usually better to turn off secure boot for now.
    Make good backups of all of Windows and the efi partition.

Then use Something else. You really only need / (root) & swap. Install grub boot loader to sda.
    Examples of Something else:
    Install 14.04 Something Else explanation and screenshots (note boot load to VM, most may install to MBR of drive sda, or sdb)
    http://www.tecmint.com/ubuntu-14-04-installation-guide/

Lots more info in the links in my signature. First couple are vital. And links for more info on backups and a Windows repair flash drive which you also should have.
    UEFI boot install & repair info - Regularly Updated :
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.