Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Samba issues ubuntu server 14.04

Beans

Re: Samba issues ubuntu server 14.04

ok so given that I'm running 14.04 can anyone tell me how to replace the current version of samba with an older version like from 13.03 ?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by Dale_Whitnall View Post
    ok so given that I'm running 14.04 can anyone tell me how to replace the current version of samba with an older version like from 13.03 ?
    You can't install an Ubuntu package of Samba 3.6 directly. Your options are to find a pre-compiled version of Samba3 and match up all the dependencies yourself manually. The other is to compile Samba3 yourself. Neither of these are satisfactory IMO. You will get NO UPDATES with these methods.

FYW -- The package name is the same for both Samba3 and Samba4 so you can't just add the 13.10 repos. IIRC the version of python also changed from 2.n to 3.n. Both of these are serious problems that will prevent you from downgrading Samba.

I'd use Ubuntu 12.04 (EOL is 2017) for Samba3 or Ubuntu 14.04 for Samba4. Functionally both use the smbd daemon to do the same thing (share files via CIFS). So either should work.

No pushing or pulling. The client requests and the server provides the needed share directory so the client can mount it. The is classic client/server mounting of a remote file system to a local host. The fact that your clients are VM's hosted on the machine that is also the Samba server is a complication but shouldn't be a deal breaker. I however have no firsthand experience with this. If you want to do some testing I'll try and help.

I hope this helps you make a decision. Sorry I couldn't provide a complete solution. :
    Last edited by bab1; June 9th, 2014 at 09:30 PM.
    -BAB1

Beans

Thanks bab1, I think i will start a new 12.04 for the samba side of things, the only thing that was concerning me was that no more updates for 13.04, and when I tried to get 14.04 samba working, it will hand out the files but for whatever reason all the files will not list. I guess there is still a few issues with samba4, but it does work for the most part.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

If you want to help yourself, as well as other, it may be an idea to submit a bug here, sometimes bugs that appear in Ubuntu may already be solved upstream.

Beans

For reference, i have the same issue, and have posted a bug report about this:
    https://bugzilla.samba.org/show_bug.cgi?id=10916

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12