Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Avoid Gender-Specific "Guys" on Ubuntu Forum?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Re: Avoid Gender-Specific "Guys" on Ubuntu Forum?

What is "meant" is often less important than what is "taken".

No. None of us can please everyone. But we should take care to avoid offense to the extent that we can.
    Please read The Forum Rules and The Forum Posting Guidelines
    My Blog
    A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by help_me2 View Post
    ... are we supposed to know what is acceptable in every country? Sometimes I think people are a little too sensitive in this day and age.
    The obvious answer to this is 'no', but the issue is easily overcome by this solution which was also posted earlier (much):

Quote Originally Posted by Bucky Ball View Post
    Stick with 'OP' or the poster's name is best.
    That simple ...

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by QIII View Post
    What is "meant" is often less important than what is "taken".

No. None of us can please everyone. But we should take care to avoid offense to the extent that we can.
    I guess that's why the net is a world unto itself. It's different than face-to-face interactions. People misinterpret posts all the time, and the op has to apologize, explaining what they really meant. Emoticons and just explaining yourself clearly can definitely help.

But I still stand by my assertion that society as a whole is way too sensitive.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Quote Originally Posted by help_me2 View Post
    But I still stand by my assertion that society as a whole is way too sensitive.
    It is not about being too sensitive but about being inclusive. What you see as a restriction can be seen as including a broader group. Misconceptions, both ways, blur that kind of conversation.

QIII +1. We are international help forums for an OS, not the general society, we have rules, the place is moderated and administrated. There are plenty of other places on the internet where the line is drawn at a different level if the one we have here does not fit you.
    | My old and mostly abandoned blog |
    Linux user #413984 ; Ubuntu user #178
    J'aime les fraises.
    Nighty night me lovelies!

| Reinstalling Ubuntu ? Please check this bug first ! |
    | Using a ppa ? Please install ppa-purge from universe, you may need it should you want to revert packages back |
    | No support requests / username changes by PM, thanks. |
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Beans

Political correctness gone mad. You guy's Lol.
    Kubuntu 14.04 LTS 64bit --- Hp Pavilion G6, AMD A4-3305M With Radeon HD Graphics 1.90 Ghz 4GbRam 250GB Samsung SSD.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 17.04 Zesty Zapus

I see nothing politically correct in trying to be respectful of other forum users, by not making unwarranted assumptions about gender, age, social background, technical proficiency in Ubuntu, or any other of the million ways I could mentally pigeon-hole people into categories that might discomfort them. And I see nothing politically correct in trying to find ways of expressing myself so that I can aware of any tendency that I might have towards unconscious stereotyping.

Now can we please get back on-topic, which is about the best gender-neutral way of addressing others on this forum?

For what it's worth, I usually use the pronouns they and them (and possessive form their) when referring to other forum users. Although strictly ungrammatical when used in the singular in English, these are at least gender neutral.
    Ubuntu 16.04 Desktop Guide - Ubuntu 14.04 Desktop Guide - Forum Guide to BBCode - Using BBCode code tags - IRC #ubuntuforums

Member: Not Canonical Team

Please do not PM me about your forum account unless you have been asked to. The correct place to contact an admin about your account is here.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by coffeecat View Post

Now can we please get back on-topic, which is about the best gender-neutral way of addressing others on this forum?
    how about people?
    Easy to understand Ubuntu manual with lots of pics: http://ubuntu-manual.org/
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    User friendly disk backup: Redobackup

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by coffeecat View Post
    For what it's worth, I usually use the pronouns they and them (and possessive form their) when referring to other forum users. Although strictly ungrammatical when used in the singular in English, these are at least gender neutral.
    Quote Originally Posted by mastablasta View Post
    how about people?
    A non native English speaker, I found it strange to use third person plural to avoid specifying gender, when it is actually third person singular (he or she), but I see that it is often use here, and I'm getting used to it.

I can't stop thinking about the first person issue. When I say 'we', we are talking about me and my lice. When the king says 'we', he is talking about himself, oops, I mean, when the regent says 'we', they are talking about themselves (and maybe their people too).

Beans

As this site forbids discussion of anything related to politics, religion,gender, sexual orientation etc. and given the multicultural nature of our community a single nongender related term might be hard to define. To me the term OP seems flat and distant, except of course when im suffering from cranial flatulation. So perhaps the one universal term
    that is not gender specific and does reflect a sense of community. Friend/s?
    The only dumb question is the one not asked.

In service to the Dream

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

When I say ''we'' on forums, I generally mean to address the whole community including me. I'm fine with referring person in question as OP tbh, its a practice followed by lot of people on different forums, so this is not an unknown ground. Freind/s does have a nice sound to it :3

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast