Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Thread: 10.04 kernel update 2.6.32-61, various problems

Beans

Re: 10.04 kernel update 2.6.32-61, various problems

If you read a different Launchpad page you will see that, as I speculated earlier in this thread, it turns out that this kernel release DOES have a serious regression and a Critical bug has been filed against it.

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...x/+bug/1327300

Obviously, the maintainers have made it pretty clear that they are not going to explicitly test this against the unsupported Desktop packages, but I won't be surprised if this regression, when released, fixes the Desktop problem as well. I suspect we'll find out pretty quickly.

It should be equally obvious that those of use still running (for whatever reason) 10.04 Desktop systems are living on borrowed time. Start planning your migration while you can still do it at your own pace, rather than in a panic when your system is hopelessly broken.
    Last edited by Barry_Trent; June 10th, 2014 at 05:14 PM.

Beans

Re: Thunderbird stopped working on Ubuntu 10.04 LTS

Kubuntu's interface hasn't changed since KDE 4.x was released a few years ago, and even then it was visually pretty similar to 3.x versions. If you want a stable desktop, you might consider Kubuntu instead of vanilla Ubuntu.
    If you ask for help, do not abandon your request. Please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Thunderbird stopped working on Ubuntu 10.04 LTS

Ubuntu's new DE Unity has much fans as haters probably. Oldfred's is probably in the latter (or at least neutral) while I'm on the former. At the end of the day, the beauty of it is just that: Choice. You don't have to use if you don't like. Just follow the previous instructions to get the DE you're used to but if you have hardware powerful enough to run Unity I strongly advice you to have have both and give Unity a chance. Give it time and you'll notice that Unity is the most advanced DE currently available, from ALL OSs and also, by far, the most productive once you get used to it.

This new user contents and user apps centered OS paradigm has been followed by MS with the Windows 8 as you correctly pointed out. Now, please don't get me wrong: Windows 8 is horrible, hopelessly flawed and a soon-to-be 'flop' like Milenium and Vista but even so the decision to move to the same paradigm Ubuntu/Canonical understood some years before was the correct decision. And you can bet the next Windows version will hit the spot again.

Things evolve and evolution is generally a good thing. We would still be carving stone if everyone just preferred to "get on with the job" instead of trying and refining innovations. I'm not saying everything 'new' is good, not at all, but 'new' things that don't work or the people at large don't like tend to be "naturally selected" out. There are, of course, some instances of "artificial" selection when companies attempt to push their own agenda regardless of what people really want or some cases of the same said companies withholding vital information about the available choices thus preventing users from making informed choices. Fortunately for us this rarely happens in the Linux world. It often diverges from what mainstream OSs (proprietary) do when such elements are but a clear attempt to impose an agenda (political as well as financial) but there are also many examples of convergent evolution because certain things are good and survived brilliantly the users scrutiny.
    Galiza Nação!

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...1#post13044853

It's not about switching to Ubuntu 14.04 but to any of the 14.04's.
    Last edited by mörgæs; June 11th, 2014 at 11:35 AM.
    Bringing old hardware back to life. About problems due to upgrading.
    Please visit Quick Links -> Unanswered Posts.
    Don't use this space for a list of your hardware. It only creates false hits in the search engines.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Closed for staff review.

Reopened following staff review.

The temporary closure was for two reasons. The thread was becoming yet another alternative desktop environment discussion thread. No criticism intended of the people making such suggestions, because they were well meant, but this was beginning to detract from the main purpose of this support thread, issues concerning a kernel upgrade which has caused problems with the now-unsupported desktop version of Ubuntu 10.04.

More problematic was that a few recent posts were perilously close to trolling. So...

A number of posts have been removed. Those who wish to vent their frustrations, please do so elsewhere – this thread is for technical support for those affected by the recent kernel upgrade.
    Last edited by coffeecat; June 11th, 2014 at 04:06 PM.
    Ubuntu 20.04 Desktop Guide - Ubuntu 22.04 Desktop Guide - Forum Guide to BBCode - Using BBCode code tags

Member: Not Canonical Team

If you need help with your forum account, such as SSO login issues, username changes, etc, the correct place to contact an admin is here. Please do not PM me about these matters unless you have been asked to - unsolicited PMs concerning forum accounts will be ignored.

Beans

Uh-oh broken my four 10.04 systems. Three are upgraded to 12.04/14.04 already but the fourth is too small to run 14.04. I was a happy 10.04 user until disaster struck last week.
    How can I revert to an older 10.04 kernel that works again? I can open a terminal without any problem. But browsers and others apps are not working.

Thanks,
    Martin

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by Martin7182 View Post
    Uh-oh broken my four 10.04 systems. Three are upgraded to 12.04/14.04 already but the fourth is too small to run 14.04. I was a happy 10.04 user until disaster struck last week.
    How can I revert to an older 10.04 kernel that works again? I can open a terminal without any problem. But browsers and others apps are not working.

Thanks,
    Martin
    While booting, hold down the SHIFT key, you will the list of installed kernels, choose a kernel prior to 2.6.32-61, like 2.6.32-60.
    Meet me at the pier at midnight. We will stare out at the ocean one last time..

Beans

I've been running 2.6.32-60 since this happened .. hoping to move to 12.04 when I get the chance.

I'm wondering though, if/when a kernel update happens (i.e. 2.6.32-62), will Update Manager let me know, since I'm behind by two kernels?

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Why not move to 12.04 (or even better, 14.04) right away?

10.04 is likely to give you more unpleasant surprises in the future.
    Bringing old hardware back to life. About problems due to upgrading.
    Please visit Quick Links -> Unanswered Posts.
    Don't use this space for a list of your hardware. It only creates false hits in the search engines.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by mörgæs View Post
    Why not move to 12.04 (or even better, 14.04) right away?

10.04 is likely to give you more unpleasant surprises in the future.
    In fact, why not do it now, because as of recently this forum no longer supports 10.04 LTS (and neither does Canonical). Please refer here:

EOL link:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2229730

Take note specifically that, "... We will not provide any additional support to EOL releases, and in particular to the 10.04 desktop edition."

Thanks. Please post a new thread if you have problems with the upgrade or anything else in the future.

Thread Closed.
    Last edited by Bucky Ball; June 17th, 2014 at 05:00 PM.

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011