Thread: Ubuntu - Gnome

Beans

Ubuntu - Gnome

I just happened upon a sight for downloading "Ubuntu Gnome" but when I booted to the USB key that I burned the ISO to, I still get to a live session that has a UNITY interface.

Is there a Ubuntu Gnome LIVE / trial version that will allow me to boot directly to a Gnome interface and NOT Unity interface ?

I am wanting a LIVE / trial Gnome version that I can use for demonstration purposes to new users, i.e. do not necessarily want to install to their hard drive at least not at this time.

Thanks.

Never mind, I found it but still do not like the way this works.
    Last edited by joverstreet1; June 17th, 2014 at 02:55 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Ubuntu - Gnome

I have just run a Ubuntu Gnome live session image from the 1st November 2013. It is from the Ubuntu Gnome 14.04 development period and it is the only Ubuntu Gnome Image I have. From the start of the loading process until the live session desktop is loaded the experience is completely Ubuntu Gnome and not Ubuntu. The live session desktop is the Gnome 3 shell user interface just as it would be if Ubuntu Gnome was installed to hard disk. I know this to be true because I did install this image to hard disk.

I cannot confirm your complaint. Perhaps you were expecting Ubuntu Gnome to have a different user interface than Gnome 3 Shell. That was never the intention of the Ubuntu Gnome developers. This is the official Gnome 3 shell look and it is what we get with Ubuntu Gnome.

http://www.gnome.org/gnome-3/

Regards.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530