Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: 10.04 kernel update 2.6.32-61, various problems

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: 10.04 LTS kernel upgrade to 2.6.32-61

In my case it is a desktop version of 10.04 64bit, but the problem also occurs for the server version:
    Quote Originally Posted by granric View Post
    To me, this latest update brought another major issue: just after authentication, everything hangs in the graphical environment (no background image, only a subset of windows which were open at shutdown reopens, dialog windows draw only their perimeter, but contain no menu items). After a poweroff restart, had to revert to 2.6.32-60.

Just for info, I was trying to update to 2.6.32-61.124_amd64 (server version), onto which I had installed ages ago Gnome-2 desktop.

Should it be necessary, I'll be happy to provide other logs (dmesg, ...)
    Ric
    Meet me at the pier at midnight. We will stare out at the ocean one last time..

Beans

Re: 10.04 kernel update 2.6.32-61 bricks computer

Same problem here with Ubuntu 10.04 64-bit: kernel 2.6.32-61 breaks all sound and video applications. Virtualbox VMs also fail to start up, with progress bar hanging at 20%. Rolling back to 2.6.32-60 works as a quick fix. 10.04 might be old, but I was grateful for its lack of vulnerability to the Heatbleed bug.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Quote Originally Posted by deadflowr View Post
    It's actually the best answer.
    It's not the best answer, given the fact the updates were rolled out, also to people with no longer supported systems. If you want to stop supporting 10.04, fine, but leave my machine alone. The only reason why I updated this package is because of the recurring theme of vulnerabilities in ssh, reported everywhere, those past few months.

Conclusion: A big fat old warning saying something like: "We provide you with this update, but no one in our office bothered to actually test it; proceed as you see fit".

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Just because you don't like the answer, doesn't mean it is not the best one.
    Splat Double Splat Triple Splat
    Earn Your Keep
    Don't mind me, I'm only passing through.
    Once in a blue moon, I'm actually helpful

Beans

Mine wasn't bricked, but using various GUI programs fail randomly after varying periods of time. Luckily I have older kernels around to select from that work reliably. Going to ignore update nags now, and do everything manually until I'm required to choose between buying new hardware or new OS (part of the endless hardware upgrade treadmill I abandoned MS for in the first place)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Quote Originally Posted by deadflowr View Post
    Just because you don't like the answer, doesn't mean it is not the best one.
    Good lines of reasoning often make use of premises as well as conclusions, not merely repeated statements.

Just to be clear: I have zero problems with 10.04 being EOL'd. The problem I have is with the provision of the update, despite 10.04's EOL, combined with your initial statement, paraphrased "you shouldn't be running 10.04 in the first place".

Beans

Re: FIrefox and Thunderbird are dead after the latest update 10.04

My wife's machine has now been upgraded to 12.04. There's a distinct slowdown and we're still working through the changes brought on by Unity. I could install one of the other desktops, but there are variations in all of them and one learning curve is enough. Two friend's machines have been rolled back using methods listed in other messages. They work as they did before.

Things are getting back to normal (a new normal) but that's the case with any malware (and that's what this equates to) infestation.

Beans

Re: FIrefox and Thunderbird are dead after the latest update 10.04

If you don't want to reinstall a different flavour of *buntu just install gnome-session-flashback and choose it at log in, it looks pretty much the same as what you are used to. There will be minimal readjustment.

There is always some 'learning curve' for everything in life, you can't avoid it unless you lock yourself up in a time capsule.

Beans

Ubuntu 10.04 2.6.32.61-generic-pae FREEZES FIREFOX

I just updated to the latest version of Ubuntu Lucid (noted in title). Suddenly, attempting many functions in Firefox just freezes it up! One of them is simply trying to get the drop-down menu to appear from the "File Edit View History..." bar. This is an issue exclusive to the recent release as I rebooted back in 60 & 58 of generic-pae and the Firefox problems went away. I re-installed 61, rebooted, and the problems persist in 61. Please pass this on to whomever writes & releases each version as this needs to be addressed. Right now, I'm going to try to get 61 to hide from the Grub2 menu so I don't boot into it anymore. Please fix this conflict with Firefox.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 16.10 Yakkety Yak

Quote Originally Posted by anthonie View Post
    "We provide you with this update, but no one in our office bothered to actually test it; proceed as you see fit".
    This has been the case for more than a year. Consider yourself lucky that you did not encounter problems before.

Demanding Canonical to test packages in relation to an unsupported distro (the desktop part of 10.04) would mean that the distro is supported.

Ok, back on topic. The thread was posted in Installation and Upgrades where a poster seeks a solution for a specific problem. If people want a general discussion about pros and cons regarding unsupported software feel free to open a new thread in Ubuntu, Linux and OS chat.
    Bringing old hardware back to life. About problems due to upgrading.
    Please visit Quick Links -> Unanswered Posts
    Don't use this space for a list of your hardware. It only creates false hits in the search engines.

Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast