Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cannot change backlight brightness Ubuntu 14.04

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: Cannot change backlight brightness Ubuntu 14.04

Quote Originally Posted by cyrus_the_virus View Post
    I used this/ article that suggests making a change in xorg.conf. I removed this later because it does solve my problem. I think it just tells to which file the brightness value should be echoed, but since echoing a value manually does not work this solution does not work either.

Here is the output of the commands that you gave me:

Code:
    $ cat /proc/cmdline
    BOOT_IMAGE=/boot/vmlinuz-3.13.0-29-generic root=UUID=4e04ddb0-3020-4b02-827f-635306f670db ro quiet splash video.use_native_backlight=1 vt.handoff=7
    Code:
    $ ls /sys/class/backlight
    intel_backlight
    Code:
    $ cat /var/log/Xorg.0.log | grep backlight
    [    11.054] Kernel command line: BOOT_IMAGE=/boot/vmlinuz-3.13.0-29-generic root=UUID=4e04ddb0-3020-4b02-827f-635306f670db ro quiet splash video.use_native_backlight=1 vt.handoff=7
    [    11.101] (--) intel(0): found backlight control interface intel_backlight (type 'raw')
    Code:
    $ for interface in /sys/class/backlight/*; do echo $interface; cat $interface/actual_brightness; cat $interface/max_brightness; done
    /sys/class/backlight/intel_backlight
    Note that this was done with video.use_native_backlight=1

Have you tried to set the brightness using
    Code:
    echo 3500 | sudo tee /sys/class/backlight/intel_backlight/brightness
    with and without video.use_native_backlight?

It sounds like using the 3.14.5 kernel fixes a backlight bug on the XPS13 per a bug report https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=76276

Beans

Hi, sorry for my late reply.

Today I wanted to look into your latest comments and I found out that the display is completely broken now. There is no backlight at all black even during the initial boot up. So, I think it is safe to assume that this is a hardware problem. I will contact Dell support to send it back for repair.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

That isn't good, hopefully Dell will have it fixed and back to you soon

Beans

I hope so too. Thanks again for your help with troubleshooting the problem

Beans

Hi there!

I don't know whether you solved this problem alread or not but I just upgraded from 12.04 to 14.04 on an Asus N56VZ laptop and I'm having the same problem: my Fn+F5 or Fn+F6 keys are not adjusting the brightness, so I googled and googled and found the suggestions of adding /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/20-intel.conf file. and the suggestion to add some lines in your grub after "quiet splash"....
    I did all that and non worked!! then I noticed that my graphics isn't showing Inte in "settings>details>graphics" it was showing Gallium!!... anyways... I decided to start over and delete the files that I added in /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/20-intel.conf as well as delete the line after "quiet splash" in grub, and whilst i was at it, I also deleted "nomodeset" line from the grub. I don't even know why it's there to begin with, it shouldn't be there! and by the way I was updating grub and restaring all the time, nothing worked, then I finally started in recovert mode and chose "failsafe graphic" and switched to "...generic..." , restarted one more time and VOILA Function key works!, I went to settings>details and graphics say Intel Ivy bridge!!!
    I have no idea what the hell was that all about but it's working now!
    One more thing that I noticed before running in recovery mode: everytime I ran "ls /sys/class/backlight" it showed asus-nb-wmi
    but after recovery when I booted in normal and ran "ls /sys/class/backlight" it showed "intel_backlight"

Sorry for rather long reply, I'm hoping my experience can benefit the developer and give them a clue as to what was causing the bug.

Best of luck

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12