Thread: After purchasing a domain name what other costs are involved.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

After purchasing a domain name what other costs are involved.

If I have already set up my own server and purchased a domain name what other costs are involved. Apart from electricity and my isp allowing me to run a server from my current broadband connection. Do I have to pay a yearly/monthly subscription to some other company.

Thanks
    @Mods I'm not sure where to post this thread, so please feel free to move this to the correct sub forum.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: After purchasing a domain name what other costs are involved.

Domains usually have a regular renewal fee. How much and how often can depend on who you registered the domain with.

Organizing a static IP address with your ISP can sometimes be helpful. This is likely to cost you money as well.
    Forum DOs and DON'Ts
    Please use CODE tags
    Including your email address in a post is not recommended

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by J_Me View Post
    If I have already set up my own server and purchased a domain name what other costs are involved. Apart from electricity and my isp allowing me to run a server from my current broadband connection. Do I have to pay a yearly/monthly subscription to some other company.

Thanks
    @Mods I'm not sure where to post this thread, so please feel free to move this to the correct sub forum.
    There are 3 things needed to have a website/domain.
    * registered domain (commonly called a "registrar")
    * DNS that connect the domain to an IP -
    * hosting provider/server

Sounds like you are running the server at home ... so the ISP costs should be added.

The DNS may or may not be part of your registrar agreement. I don't know. Running your own DNS can be dangerous. I've been hacked over BIND. $20-$40/yr makes this problem go away. I like to keep the DNS and Registrar separate to prevent 1 company from having too much control over my websites. It is certainly easier to have an all-in-1 solution, however.

Registrar costs vary wildly from $2/yr (1st year only) to $100/yr. I normally renew my domains 90 days in advance of the expiration and buy 10 years at a time to keep annual costs to $7/yr. Why 90 days in advance? Some disreputable registrars lock accounts for the last 60 day of an agreement, making changing providers harder (called a "transfer").

So ... the costs for each of those things needs to be included.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Thanks for the replies, things are much clearer. And yes I'll be running this from home on a raspberry pi