Thread: Uninstall Nautilus from 14.04

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Uninstall Nautilus from 14.04

I recently installed Trusty Tahr and was really very disappointed with the shipped-in Nautilus version.With every Dist upgrade,one or more useful feature of Nautilus is removed.This time,compact view feature is removed,which i used very frequently in earlier LTS releases.
    Iam now done with Nautilus and would like to install Nemo File manager.(which,as i googled,has the compact view feature)
    My question is:
    1. How do i completely remove Nautilus?
    2. I can find Nemo in software centre(of 14.04).Can i install it from there or need to install manually from source?

Vote for my Idea
    ~~~Open-source Software and Patience go hand in hand~~~

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Uninstall Nautilus from 14.04

Nemo in the ubuntu repos is functional but for a more up to date version
    use this guide.
    http://www.webupd8.org/2013/10/insta...tches-and.html

It shows you how to set nemo as the default file manager.
    Not really necessary to remove nautilus but if you must, use synaptic
    as it will show you what else may be uninstalled.
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install synaptic
    If I uninstall nautilus here it will also uninstall gnome-session-flashback.
    Last edited by grumblebum2; June 3rd, 2014 at 11:40 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by satish_j View Post
    I recently installed Trusty Tahr and was really very disappointed with the shipped-in Nautilus version.With every Dist upgrade,one or more useful feature of Nautilus is removed.This time,compact view feature is removed,which i used very frequently in earlier LTS releases.
    Iam now done with Nautilus and would like to install Nemo File manager.(which,as i googled,has the compact view feature)
    My question is:
    1. How do i completely remove Nautilus?
    2. I can find Nemo in software centre(of 14.04).Can i install it from there or need to install manually from source?
    Please be aware that Nautilus is so integrated in Ubuntu that you can't remove it without killing the desktop. Do the following
    Code:
    sudo apt-get remove -s nautilus
    to see exactly what would be removed. The "-s" means "No action; perform a simulation of events that would occur but do not actually change the system."

On the other hand, you don't need to remove Nautilus - just set Nemo as default - see here how.
    Last edited by slickymaster; June 3rd, 2014 at 11:47 AM. Reason: Typo

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Do not remove Nuti, I've had occasions when I broke my system trying to do that. Simply install Nemo and set it to defualt as suggested above.

Usually, it is best practice to not remove default packages, espcially important ones like file manager. Eventhough, quite admitanly, Nuti is failing at both functionality (Which it had) and snappy/light (Which it aims) ends.

I use nemo for only one reason over Nuti, it can do dual window with F3, which Nuti can't anymore

Beans
    Hidden!

Is it really that hard to write "nautilus"?
    It won't hurt to uninstall as long as you don't use the software center and take note what else is to be uninstalled.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by grumblebum2 View Post
    Is it really that hard to write "nautilus"?
    It won't hurt to uninstall as long as you don't use the software center and take note what else is to be uninstalled.
    Obviously, yes