Thread: Special characters (ëê) and ALT-GR characters (€) settings gone after reboot

Beans

Question Special characters (ëê) and ALT-GR characters (€) settings gone after reboot

Hi,

Since I upgraded to 14.04 I have the problem that after a reboot I have to re-configure the keyboard to get special characters like ëéèê and € (ALT-GR+5). There are so many places that have settings about the keyboard layout that I do not know which is "the boss". There are settings in the Gnome Tweak tool, in the settings and keyboard layout, modifier-key short-cut in the keyboard short-cut list and via "dpkg-reconfigure keyboard-configuration"

To get these characters I have to run the following command after each reboot.

Code:
    sudo dpkg-reconfigure keyboard-configuration
    Where should I change what and how can I make this permanent (again)?

Thanks in advance for the help, for this is driving me crazy

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Special characters (ëê) and ALT-GR characters (€) settings gone after reboot

sudo dpkg-reconfigure console-setup
    That is the granddaddy of them all. Should work across local, remote and X/windows ... unless you've overridden input methods in those separately.

Beans

Re: Special characters (ëê) and ALT-GR characters (€) settings gone after reboot

Quote Originally Posted by TheFu View Post
    That is the granddaddy of them all. Should work across local, remote and X/windows ... unless you've overridden input methods in those separately.
    Thanks TheFu, your command was what I was missing. The combination of both commands have finally fixed my issues.

Code:
    sudo dpkg-reconfigure keyboard-configuration
    This did the trick

Thanks again

Beans

Quick update. The problem re-creates itself when gnome shell restarts itself or when I execute
    gnome-shell --repace

After a reboot all is well.

Beans

I have set-up an extra keyboard layout. and have changed the short-cut combination to change the layout to ctrl+alt+space (super+space did not work) and by switching layouts after a shell restart I get my special keys back.

Not a solution but a workable workaround.